Lost power to back half of house

Old 09-03-15, 10:17 AM
Lost power to back half of house

Today the power went out and when it was restored the back half of my house has no power. We tried resetting all the breakers. I called the electric company and they came out and checked the voltage and said everything is good. They said we need to contact an electrician. We can't afford an electrician right now so I'm wondering if there is anything we can try ourselves to fix the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-15, 10:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try to cycle the main breaker.

Are there any subpanels in the house? Tell us what you mean by half the house.

Old 09-03-15, 11:47 AM
There are no sub panels. I haven't tried that yet. The living room, dining room and kitchen are in the front half of the house and they all have power. The hallway has power. But the back half which is the bedrooms and bathroom have no power.

Old 09-03-15, 11:51 AM
Also look for any GFCI outlets (the ones with the test and reset button) and press the reset on any you find.

Old 09-03-15, 12:41 PM
Do you have any electrical testing equipment and are you comfortable with taking the cover off of the circuit breaker panel?

Old 09-03-15, 12:48 PM
I might be able to borrow some from my dad and I have no problem with removing the cover.

Old 09-03-15, 01:05 PM
Okay, I would suggest an analog voltmeter although you can use a digital as long as you observe a couple of idiosyncrasies. A non-contact tester (a "squeaking pen") would be almost useless for this testing.

You need to set the meter to 300 VAC (volts, AC) or higher range. Be VERY careful as there is (or should be) 240 volts exposed inside the panel and that can kill you dead! Electricity is an equal opportunity killer and it doesn't care one whit about your age, skin color, religion or anything else so BE CAREFUL.

Place one of the meter probes on the main circuit breaker terminal where one of the large diameter wires is attached and the other probe on the other terminal where the second large wire is attached. The meter should read approximately 240 volts, plus/minus about 5% or 12 volts from this nominal figure of 240. If it does, then measure from one of these terminals to the neutral bar, where the third large wire is attached. The third large wire may be somewhat smaller than the two connected to the main circuit breaker. Measure also from the other terminal on the main circuit breaker to the neutral. Both of these readings should be equal and one half of what the reading across the two circuit breaker terminals read. If you do NOT get these readings then the power company IS at fault.

Post back once you have done these tests for more information.

Oh, posting pictures of the circuit breaker panel (with the cover removed) may help us to help you.