20 amp GFI breaker, keeps tripping.

Old 09-04-15, 03:07 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
20 amp GFI breaker, keeps tripping.

So I ran a new line for a new jacuzzi tub that's going to be in a bathroom. It was a custom length, & I accidentally got 10 gauge wire when I should have got 12. I ran the line anyway, thinking that at least the wire is oversized and not under size. Still using a 20 amp plug for the tub, and using a 20 amp GFI breaker in the panel. Hooked everything up just fine nothing tripped. I tested the plug and it had power, nothing tripped. But as soon as I put a load on it.. as a test for example, I plugged in my Dewalt battery charger, and it ripped. So the breaker doesn't trip until I plug something into it and power it on. Any ideas what my issue might be? Bad plug? Bad GFI? Or do you think there could be a break in the connection?

And yes, I hooked up the Black to copper screw on both the breaker and plug., and the white pigtail that's built into the GFI hooked up to where the white wires go, the neutral, on the panel.

Old 09-04-15, 06:36 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The wire size is not a problem. Did you connect the neutral white from the circuit to the neutral screw terminal on the GFCI breaker?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: