kitchen circuits questions

Old 09-05-15, 06:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kitchen circuits questions

I finally got my old fuse box upgraded to a 200amp breaker box, and the first night when using the microwave trips the breaker (20 amp) the toaster was also on. So ive been reading alot to find out what it is I need to do to fix this.
So far I understand that I need 2 20 amp circuits in the kitchen. Gfi of course. I would like to have 6 outlets above the countertop. Would be even better if at least 2 of them were 2 gang for a total of 8-9 receptacles.
Can the 20 amp circuits supply a 2 gang box (4 receptacles) or is it limited to 1? The microwave is a countertop style. And in the future I would like to do an over the range type. So I dont see why I would need a dedicated circuit for it.
Do these have to be protected with an afci? So all together im looking at 3 circuits. 2 20 amp and another 15 or 20 for the rest of kitchen/dining area? Thanks

Old 09-05-15, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Check out the following thread and see if answers some of your questions.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...microwave.html

Old 09-06-15, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
So far I understand that I need 2 20 amp circuits in the kitchen. Gfi of course. I would like to have 6 outlets above the countertop. Would be even better if at least 2 of them were 2 gang for a total of 8-9 receptacles.
More outlets do not equate to more capacity. You still only have two 20 amp circuits. Since many kitchen appliances use about 8-12 amps I would only install duplex receptacles and install more circuits if you plan to run a lot of appliances.

Can the 20 amp circuits supply a 2 gang box (4 receptacles) or is it limited to 1? The microwave is a countertop style. And in the future I would like to do an over the range type. So I dont see why I would need a dedicated circuit for it.
You can have multiple circuits in a box and/or devices. You just can't split wire a GFCI device. An above the range microwave is required to be a dedicated circuit because it takes up more then 50% of a circuit capacity, and it is a fixed in place appliance.

Do these have to be protected with an afci?
If you are on the 2014 NEC, yes. 2011 NEC only requires the dining room.

So all together im looking at 3 circuits. 2 20 amp and another 15 or 20 for the rest of kitchen/dining area? Thanks
All circuits for receptacles in a kitchen or dining room are required to be 20 amp.

Old 09-06-15, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You do not need 20 amp devices for the 20 amp circuits unless there is only one place to plug into. A standard receptacle counts as two.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: