Fuse box in potential house

Old 09-05-15, 08:29 PM
Fuse box in potential house

We're currently looking for a new house, and came across one that seemed to have potential. The house was built in the 50s. We went back for a second look, and came across the electrical panel - all fuses by the looks of it. I know this is a doityourself forum, but I'm looking more for general guidance as to what to do. Trying to change this out to a circuit breaker box is a bit beyond what I'm willing to do. Would it be silly to keep this thing the way it is? The house has all the normal kitchen appliances, central AC, etc. I think it's an older woman who lives alone, so I don't think she's replacing fuses on a regular basis. If it's worked this long, should it be changed? If I ever needed an electrician to do work on the house, would they look at this and laugh? From what I can tell, as long as you're using the properly rated fuse, there shouldn't be any safety issues. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Name:  fuses.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  49.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-06-15 at 02:28 PM. Reason: reoriented/enhanced picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-15, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Your picture was too dark to see needed detail. That is not your electrical service. It looks like an electric furnace heating control panel.

Old 09-05-15, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Pete, that is not an electrical panel. It houses too many contactor switches.

Old 09-06-15, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too will go with some sort of a control panel , not a fuse panel for the house.

With properly sized fuses and wiring in good condition I would not sweat it. You may find you need additional circuits if your usage differs from the current owner. That could happen anywhere. Check with your insurance company to see if they have issues with fuse panels.

Old 09-06-15, 01:20 PM
My past experience with smaller 1950s vintage houses is that most of them originally had a 60 amp fuse box and many of them had the fuse box located approximately center in the house, with no outside disconnect, often times near the kitchen. The unfused service cable was generally run through the attic and dropped down at the fuse box location. There is a lot to consider before blessing a fuse box installed over 60 years ago. If this house from the '50s still has the original service, it all needs to be replaced.

Old 09-06-15, 02:21 PM
Not sure why the picture isn't oriented properly. It should be rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. The panel is located in the rear corner of the house in the kitchen. It's not near a furnace. It's wall mounted. If it's a control panel for something, I have no idea what it's for. I just assumed it was the house fuse box. We've already looked at the house twice so I doubt we'll be going back. I can see if the realtor can get information on it. Thanks.

Old 09-06-15, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Examples of fuse boxes:

Name:  DSCN2381_full.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  fuse-panel.jpg
Views: 2544
Size:  27.8 KB

Old 09-06-15, 02:43 PM
What are the components labeled T1 - T4?

Old 09-06-15, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
I changed the orientation back to the way it was originally. I had used the internal markers as a guide. Now that I look again at that panel I can see the four pole contactor is a gravity release type.

That panel controls 2) 240v loads from remote control. What the loads are is hard to say..... outdoor lighting, roof melt cables, baseboard electric heaters.

Old 09-06-15, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
T is commonly used for thermostat terminals.

Old 09-06-15, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
In contactor wiring there is L for the incoming line and T for the load connections.

Old 09-06-15, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Still not sure exactly what this is controlling...may not figure that out unless we buy the place. But confident it's not a fuse box for the entire house electrical system. Hopefully there's a standard circuit breaker panel somewhere!

Old 09-06-15, 07:22 PM
Hopefully there's a standard circuit breaker panel somewhere!
I would suggest finding the meter and looking inside in that area, either upstairs in the house or in the basement (if there is a basement). That is, if you buy the house and go back.

Old 09-06-15, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
In my area the breaker box would be outside directly below the meter so look there also.