Switch off, 25v ac voltage read

Old 09-06-15, 01:04 PM
Switch off, 25v ac voltage read

Good evening

I saw this once before on a house I had considered buying but didn't and never investigated further. Now I'm remodeling the baby room and run into it again.

I have a 35 yr old house. Outlet that is switched reads 25vac when off from red runner to neutral.

Most outlets are junk and I'm replacing them... Whomever did the original wiring recessed them 1/4 to 1/2 inch too deep and they are breaking upon plug insertion. Will be replacing the switch too at some point soon.

Don't yet know where the 12/3 is run from the switch (suspecting into attic and draped over )

Anything like this leakage potential normal or am I going to be hunting down ghost voltages on every circuit...

Suggestions most welcome

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-15, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

If you are a serious DIY'er..... get yourself an actual AC tester or an inexpensive analog meter.
A digital meter will usually show ghost or induced voltages due to their very high input sensitivities.

Don't yet know where the 12/3 is run from the switch (suspecting into attic and draped over )
Doesn't matter. The red wire is showing induced voltage from the black due to its close proximity. A perfectly normal occurrence.

Old 09-06-15, 06:26 PM
That's fair. Didn't think to grab the analog meter... I mean digital is perfect, right? (That's sarcasm.. I hear that phrase in my job and try not to strangle people)

So I could verify this is a ghost by loading a small load, say a100 ohm resister, and measure the drop? Or inline current meter or even a clamp. All of those should confirm it's not real....

Turns out that disconnecting one side also shut down the bathroom on the first floor.

I would love to know who wired this place. I fear it was the home owner.

Last edited by purduephotog; 09-06-15 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-06-15, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Plug a lamp into the receptacle, turn the receptacle off, and turn the lamp on. You should see ~0 volts.