Installing new over the range microwave

Old 09-06-15, 06:04 PM
Installing new over the range microwave

Hello,
I need some advice on how to wire over the range microwave. I have recently purchased this house so I am also learning things to do it myself.

So far I have taken the existing light + Fant vent/hood off the top and I can see the circuit behind it which is pretty clumsy at first sight. the circuit seems to be shared with the basement lighting and there are plenty of lights in the basement.

I have also cut out an outlet hole in the above cabinet and will be working on installing a new circuit. However I am quite not sure how to go about wiring it. From the internet searches it seems like an over the range microwave will needs its dedicated 20amp 120V circuit.. but i quite dont know from where can I run this cable? I have a gas stove so i don't think i can share its circuit either. Can i use the existing wires or is it a big risk using them?

any help is greatly appreciated.

The microwave I have got seems to have these specs mentioned

Wattage: 1000
Amperage: 15amps
Voltage: 120 volts

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-15, 06:26 PM
but i quite dont know from where can I run this cable?
You are adding a new circuit so the cable run must start at the service panel with a new 20 amp 1 pole circuit breaker.

Old 09-06-15, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
See below for how to insert images.
You might want to post a picture of your service panel. As Joe said, power will come from there. It was typical for a vent hood to be powered/shared with lighting when home was built. This is not sufficient to power a microwave hood combo.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-06-15, 07:35 PM
Thank you for replying folks. here is a picture from the service panel.

Name:  20150907_022359305_iOS.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 09-06-15, 07:55 PM
Okay so I did a quick test and seems like one of the red breaker marked as appliances is going to a circuit in the kitchen which is not being used by anything but a lamp which we really rarely use. so possibly i can fish wire from that to the microwave and closed down the the previous circuit.

Old 09-06-15, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
so possibly i can fish wire from that to the microwave and closed down the the previous circuit.
Unless that receptacle is needed to maintain the six foot code required spacing of counter top receptacles and/or the requirement for two dedicated 20 amp receptacle circuits.