Why do I see visible spark in power tool


Old 09-08-15, 12:14 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 117
Why do I see visible spark in power tool

I recently installed new GFCI outlet and in my understanding I did not do anything wrong and first time (after new outlet install) I turned the circuit breaker on in the main panel I saw a spark in outlet ....so I was kinda nervous ...something did not feel right but I went ahead and test GFCI receptacle and it turned yellow and I checked other outlet in the circuit which was after this new GFCI receptacle in the line....(New GFCI outlet I installed is the first one in that circuit) ..there was no current at other outlet so I reset the button and hooked my senco screw driver but I saw visible spark ...I tried couple of time but it was visible spark both the times...well next I checked another corded drill and same thing...visible spark......I have used these screw drivers/drill before and never saw any visible spark either in day or night...so what do u think I have done wrong in this new outlet installation that is causing visible spark?

Of course for now I have turned off that circuit in the main panel ...and not comfortable using this circuit unless I solve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-15, 01:18 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 46,228
Visible sparks where.... coming from inside the power tools ?

That is perfectly normal. Power tools use brush type motors and those type of motors create small sparks. You'll see the same sparks in battery operated tools.
Old 09-08-15, 04:25 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,968
i get a slight pop when I plug in chargers, too. Perfectly normal. I never plug in a charger with a battery installed in it. I have heard it can damage things, but have never experienced it.
Old 09-08-15, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 44,208
As noted above, the spark in the power tools has always been there - you just never noticed it before
Generally if an outlet is wired wrong it either won't work or will blow the breaker.
Old 09-08-15, 05:32 AM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,099
In many styles of electric motors, subcircuits within the motor are switched on and off usually several times a second. Each turn on and turn off generates a small spark.

The switch contacts, which include parts called brushes, wear down as a result of this sparking and these brushes are usually replaceable as part of the motor maintenance.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes