20-amp circuit, 14/2 wire, and more!

Old 09-08-15, 08:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
20-amp circuit, 14/2 wire, and more!

Hello everyone... a while back I had an electrician install a new outlet in the unfinished area of the basement (before I became educated).

I wanted to install another outlet in the basement, and tackled it myself by running 14/2 to the unused 2 scres on that new outlet he installed (I used 14/2 because that's what he used when he added the receptacle).

Come to find out, the existing circuit he added onto was a 20-amp circuit with only the washing machine on it, and I assume has 12/2 wire for that circuit.

Bottom line, is it ok to have used 14/2 in this scenario? Did the electrician do it wrong?

Old 09-08-15, 09:07 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The "electrician" did at least two things wrong. First, the laundry circuit is required by code to be dedicate to the laundry; extending it was a code violation. Second, 14/2 should never have been used on a 20A circuit. All of the extensions need to be removed from the laundry circuit. These new receptacles could be powered by running a 14/2 back to the main panel and installing a 15A breaker. Note that all of these receptacles (laundry included) must be GFCI protected.

Old 09-08-15, 09:54 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I plan on calling them and getting a refund for this work. I found in the NEC 70 where it specifies the amps per AWG -- where does it say that the washing machine must be on a dedicated circuit? I want to arm myself with the proper info! Thanks again.

Old 09-08-15, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Article 210 has the branch circuit requirements for this.

Old 09-08-15, 01:12 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
NEC 210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.

and

210.11 Branch Circuits Required.
C) Dwelling Units.
(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Note that "laundry area" does not specifically mean just the washing machine, but is usually interpreted to be washer, gas dryer, and ironing board / steamer station, or similar laundry appliance in the laundry room only. It is not intended to a "general purpose" circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: