Basement light stopped working

Old 09-09-15, 05:12 PM
Thumbs down Basement light stopped working

Basement light won't come on, I have no idea what happened. We had the electric panel box updated, and after that the basement light stop working. I replaced the light switch ... no change. I unhooked the light from the wires and stuck the light fixture wires into an outlet and the light came on, so the light fixture is good. When I checked the wires that hook up to the switch I am getting little to no voltage. The basement light switch is part of a 3 light switch panel. The other two lights for two hallways work. I get about a 6 volt reading from the wires that are hooked up to the switch that works. This is an old house. Any idea what could be going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-15, 05:30 PM
Temporarily Suspended
We had the electric panel box updated, and after that the basement light stop working.
Who did the update? Exactly what was done? Should I presume that you don't want to call them?

Old 09-09-15, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
The basement light switch is part of a 3 light switch panel.
There is probably one 2-conductor cable in that box that is power in. The black of that cable should be connected to each of the switches.

There are two okay ways that can be done one single wire going to all three switches. The other is three separate wires (pigtails) connected to the power in black with one each to each switch. Either method is good so long as only the screw terminals on the switch is used.

A third "not that good" method involves using a mixture of the screw terminals and the back stab holes in the back of the switches. If this method was used redo it using the pigtail method and only the screw terminals.

Above assumes no switch circuits in the box are switch loops. If anything doesn't match what I have described stop and post back.

Old 09-09-15, 08:18 PM
Arrow No Problem Calling

A company out of Cleveland called Clair Electric did the work...they upgraded the fuse box panel from screw in fuses to switch. I haven't called them because I'm not sure installing the panel caused the problem.

The house in question is my mom's house I will try what you said and get back to you ... I'm be going back there tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 09-09-15, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
upgraded the fuse box panel from screw in fuses to switch
No, they upgraded it to breakers.
I haven't called them because I'm not sure installing the panel caused the problem.
If all they did was replace the panel then that didn't cause the problem.