Switched outlet in bathroom?

Old 09-10-15, 03:35 PM
Switched outlet in bathroom?

Remodeling a bathroom and have a couple of issues. To begin, there is a hidden splice that I know has to go away. I will be running all new 12-2 to the room. I have learned from this forum that I can run the switch and outlet on the same circuit, as long as I don't leave the room. Currently, the switch controls the only outlet (GFCI, of course). Is this acceptable, or must the outlet be always hot? If it is acceptable, is it recommended/good practice? Finally, there is a single plastic sheathed wire running from the light to copper plumbing as, I assume, a secondary ground. I think I saw on the forum that this is unnecessary/a bad idea. Should I keep or remove this extra ground?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-15, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! As a matter of code, it is acceptable. As a matter of convenience, I would not switch a receptacle in a bathroom. What if you wanted to charge your electric toothbrush, phone, or other appliances while you slept. You would have to leave the switch on. Unless the switch operated a light, I would not see a need in it operating just the receptacle. There should be no wiring from a light to a copper pipe. You can post a picture of this we may be able to determine better what needs to be done.

Back to your receptacle, bring your power in to it first then run the light switch from it.

Old 09-10-15, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
there is a single plastic sheathed wire running from the light to copper plumbing as, I assume, a secondary ground. I think I saw on the forum that this is unnecessary/a bad idea
Yes, it needs to be removed. If you bring power to the receptacle then the light remember best practice not to connect the light to the load side of the GFCI. Connect it to the line side. That way the light doesn't go out if you trip the GFCI.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-10-15 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-10-15, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I will be running all new 12-2 to the room
Will this new cable come from your service panel? It sounds like it will since you mentioned the "extra" ground that needs eliminated.
Once you run a new circuit to the bathroom you have many options, most mentioned above.
The important thing is to have a true grounded cable for your source power.

Old 09-11-15, 08:48 AM
It will come from the service panel, eventually. I have an old Pushmatic box that I will be replacing due to lack of space and age. Right now there is one line from the panel handling 3 bedrooms, a hallway and a bath and a half. It is my plan to put each room on its own junction box still using this power line first. I will then run a line to the panel from each junction box when I bring in an electrician to replace the panel.

Old 09-11-15, 08:54 AM
The switch does control the light as well. I should have included that in my initial post.

Old 09-11-15, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Best to not have the receptacle on the switch.