Question on Meter Location and Service Wire Entrance

Old 09-11-15, 09:43 AM
Question on Meter Location and Service Wire Entrance

Hey guys. I am working on my sisters house. We have done an addition to the house and the current main service is having to be moved due to it. The new location has me confused on what to do. The ground rolls off the backside of the house and of course this is where the new service was opted to go. I know the meter should likely be around 48" so that the electric company can read it. The main service box on the inside of the house though will be elevated higher than the meter due to the roll off of ground on the outside of the home. The main service is on the main floor of the home. My question is this. Is it ok to run the main service cable through the base of the electric box to the meter due to the meter location and then from the meter up the powerhead? Are there any rules on the electric service entering the base of the box? Suggestions if so?

Thanks!
Shane

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-15, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some power companies do not allow knockouts in the back of the socket. Has the power company ok'd the new meter location?

The unfused conductors inside the house need to be as short as practical.

Old 09-11-15, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Almost everything regarding the meter placement and feed to the main panel is up to your power company's rules. See if you can get the residential service design standards from their website or by calling.