New Breaker Panel via 2" PVC?

Old 09-11-15, 10:30 AM
New Breaker Panel via 2" PVC?

Can I do this?
I installed a new 200 amp breaker panel in the basement close to my old panel. (Will have an electrician move the mains over.) I plan to abandon the old panel.
However, the existing BX and Romex doesn't reach to the new panel.
An electrician would just want to jump the old box to the new box, but, I want a clean installation. I have the time to do the labor.
So... I want to move all of my old BX and Romex circuits into a 24" x 6" x 6" wire trough mounted on the rafters where the all of the old circuits will reach and then connect the trough to the new panel via 2" PVC.
So...ALL of my circuits (old and new) will be spliced in the wire trough and run back to the panel.
I plan to use 12 THHN, white/black for each 20 amp circuit, and 6 ga copper for the ground between the panel and the wire trough.
Any Code problems with what I want to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-15, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would mount the new panel in the old location and skip all the splices. Pull the old panel and mount the new. Sometimes the old can be flipped up and the new panel mounted while the old is still feed.

However, if the trough is sized correctly, and the nipple is less than 24" you will not need to consider derating issues.

Old 09-11-15, 12:06 PM
pcboss, Thanks for your note. There is not enough room on either side of the old or the new panel to run needed new circuits. This is why I want just one PVC conduit out of the panel.
I understand the 2" PVC is capable of handling over 100 wires. This might be over-kill, but, I have plenty of the stuff.
Can anyone spec the 24 x 6 x6 box in terms of wire capacity?
Many thanks!

Old 09-11-15, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you post a picture of the existing area?

Old 09-11-15, 07:02 PM
I understand the 2" PVC is capable of handling over 100 wires. This might be over-kill, but, I have plenty of the stuff.
I assume this is 2" PVC conduit and not PVC plumbing pipe.

Old 09-13-15, 11:37 AM
Yes, PVC Electrical Conduit.