nm 12-2 in conduit?

Old 09-13-15, 04:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nm 12-2 in conduit?

Howdy gang, My cabin build is going well but this weekend as I was boring studs to run to a ceiling fan and lights, I got to thinking that by the time I have all the wires ran for rooms and things that require their own circuits like hot water heater, baseboard heaters etc. ..my wall studs would be swiss cheese which is not a good structural move. I got to thinking perhaps I should drop strait out of the panel and run a few of these runs under the cabin and come up inside at the other end. I would/should prob use conduit due to exposure and critters that love to eat wiring at the lake.
I was researching how many 12-2 wires I could run togather in a piece of conduit and discovered there seemed to be a vast difference of opinion as to nm 12-2 being in a conduit, let alone having more than one run in a conduit. We would be talking about a total of 43 feet that would need to be protected by conduit.
Is my master plan flawed here? There is no attic space so every wire needs to run in the wall studs or under the cabin. What kinda option do I have here?
Thanks! Todd

Old 09-13-15, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 163 Upvotes on 142 Posts
Individual conductors in conduit are a better idea than NM, especially at that distance. You could use MC cable.

Too many conductors or cables will cause de rating issues.

Old 09-13-15, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,333 Upvotes on 2,992 Posts
MC cable (metal clad)...... under the cabin ..... NOT.

Under the cabin you'd want to use PVC.
You can drop down out of the panel in PVC, right under the cabin, come up on the other side to a splice box. Size of the pipe is determined by the amount and size of the circuits.

You can't use NM outside in conduit. You could use UF but you'd need a machine to pull it in.
You'd use #12 THWN individual wires.

Old 09-14-15, 12:41 PM
Received 172 Upvotes on 155 Posts
I got to thinking that by the time I have all the wires ran for rooms and things that require their own circuits like hot water heater, baseboard heaters etc. ..my wall studs would be swiss cheese which is not a good structural move
I'd just use the NM cable, the holes aren't as bad as you think they are.

Old 09-14-15, 01:32 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Agreed. Framing codes are written with the intention that members will have bore holes for all the common utilities. You can bore out the center third of almost any framing member.

Old 09-14-15, 05:12 PM
T
boring framing

If I went with boring for everything, let's day I do 1 inch hole, I am assuming there is a limit on how many nm cables I can run...am I ok to bore a second hole maybe towards the top? I'm not having to adhere to any codes but by the same token, I want this safe so I'm not always worried about fire or weakening the studs etc. My wife says nothing is worse than a weak stud, and I think I resent that comment.

Old 09-14-15, 05:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
am I ok to bore a second hole maybe towards the top?
It's done everyday. Just be sure to stay in the center. Usually you can get three #12 in a 1" hole

Old 09-14-15, 05:49 PM
T
Ok sounds good to me, I shall continue with boring as needed and keep the holes away from each other when in the same stud. I appreciate everyone's responses. I will still end up going under the cabin with Thwn/thnn in conduit for a couple runs to some lighting and a well pump but I will just carry the rest for the indoor components thru the wall studs.

Thanks, Todd

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: