no ground bar in QO main breaker panel

Old 09-14-15, 05:05 PM
no ground bar in QO main breaker panel

I picked up a new 30-space QO load center today and was surprised that there's no ground bar. Should I just buy a ground bar and install it now? What's the common thing to do with new QO main breaker panels?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-15, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
If that is the MAIN panel...... no other breakers before it and the meter..... then the supplied bar is a combination neutral and ground bar. You would install the supplied long green screw for neutral bonding. You could add an additional ground bar if you think you'll be tight on locations.

If there is a breaker, like outside by the meter, then you will need to buy an additional ground bar as in that application that panel will be considered a sub panel. Neutrals and grounds would need to be kept separate.

Old 09-14-15, 06:16 PM
Yes, it's the main panel, so I'll install the green screw. The Square D spec sheet has the following to say, which I think means each terminal on the neutral bar can accept either 1 neutral wire or 1-2 ground wires. Is that right?

Branch neutral terminals suitable for one #14#4 AWG copper or one
#12#4 AWG aluminum wire

All unused neutral terminals may be used to terminate bare or green
equipment grounding conductors when the load center is used as
service equipment:
one or two #14# 12 AWG copper
one or two #12# 10 AWG aluminum
I guess it might be cleaner to just pick up a couple ground bars and bond them to the existing ground/neutral bars.

Old 09-14-15, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
I guess it might be cleaner to just pick up a couple ground bars and bond them to the existing ground/neutral bars.
You wouldn't have to, they are bonded to the steel box, which is bonded to the neutral bar via the green screw. (Main bonding jumper)

neutral bar can accept either 1 neutral wire or 1-2 ground wires. Is that right?
That is correct.

Old 09-14-15, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Correct.... one neutral or two grounds.

If you buy the Sq D ground bars they come with the screws and will match mounting holes in the panel.