Dryer, 3 prong plug to 4 prong

Old 09-15-15, 07:54 AM
Dryer, 3 prong plug to 4 prong

Hello, I recently had my dryer moved to a different room and the electrician wired a 4 prong for it but it is a 3 prong. I did purchase a 4 prong plug and am having troubles with wiring the dryer up for it.

The directions say to remove and discard the ground strap and nut securing g. strap - which I did. I removed the 3 prong cord, of course, first.

Trouble understanding: green grounding screw (there is none and nothing supplied inside the dryer or w/4 p. plug), there was a screw but just a usual screw and brass nut holding the grounding plate for the 3 prong in place. Will this screw work for the green grounding screw or do I need to purchase a green grounding screw specifically for this?

Trouble due to ignorance relating to electricity: There are 4 wires and directions say to attach 2 hot lines to outer studs. I do not know what color are the hot lines except the red, of course, is hot. But, there are green, black and white that I have to figure out what is what. I assume the black and white are neutrals? Green is the other 'hot' the directions are referring to?

One of the black or white is the ground and one is the neutral, which is which please.

If you could explain these to me, I believe I can get this 4 prong plug hooked up and dry my clothes.

well, after I purchase a green grounding screw if that is necessary.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-15, 08:09 AM
Red and Black are hot. White is neutral. Green is ground. You don't need a "green" screw, but the green wire needs to be attached solidly to the metal frame of the dryer. Attaching it to the point where the grounding jumper used to attach to the frame (not to the terminal where the white wire was attached) is sufficient.

Old 09-15-15, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Normally you would reuse the ground strap screw for the ground wire. It is not always green.

Name:  4w.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  33.8 KB

Old 09-15-15, 08:30 PM
I do have an owner's manual, 25 yo! But, it does not indicate which wire is what on this 4 plug I purchased at Ace for the dryer. Thanks so much for the pic (my owner's manual has a similar pic in it without the color indicators) and the instructions -- I would never have guessed black as a hot wire. I have the screw which the ground plate was attached to the dryer with and the necessary bolt for the neutral.

At work tonight I was thinking the plug should have a legend indicating which wire was what but nooooooo.

I talked with a friend today who said the white was hot and the green and black were the ground and neutral -- jeeze -- thanks so very much!

Old 09-16-15, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look for an upside-down Christmas tree near the terminals. That is for the ground.

Old 09-16-15, 06:40 PM
I talked with a friend today who said the white was hot and the green and black were the ground and neutral
I hope the friend told you he didn't know and that he as just wildy guessing. WRONG!!

Old 09-16-15, 07:53 PM
Actually no, he was serious and was going to come over and do it for me! I've wired it according to the diagram in my owner's manual and the illustration above which were exact and the dryer works!

I have clean undies, hehehe.

Thanks Everyone!

Old 09-16-15, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
There ya' go....... good job.

Old 09-17-15, 06:26 AM
Per OP's first post: "The directions say to remove and discard the ground strap and nut securing g. strap - which I did. I removed the 3 prong cord, of course, first."

Old 09-17-15, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Per OP's first post: "The directions say to remove and discard the ground strap and nut securing g. strap
Dang all the times I asked and only you corrected me. Thank you. I will delete my question.