Landscape light timer - two hot wires?

Old 09-20-15, 02:03 PM
Question Landscape light timer - two hot wires?

I am replacing an old mechanical timer (Intermatic T103, DPST). I want to upgrade to a digital, astronomical timer (Leviton VPT24). I'm struggling with the wiring because there are two hot wires coming in to my install location (one red, one black, each 120V) in addition to the white/neutral and bare/ground. What am I missing?

Some notes and then some photos:
  • The house was built in 1968.
  • In addition to the old mechanical timer, the front yard lights and the back yard lights each had separate on/off wall switches - the wall switch for the front yard lights is still in place and turned to the on position - the wall switch for the back yard lights was removed and the wires connected to it were joined to complete the circuit.
  • The old timer was located directly above the main electrical panel.
  • There are separate circuit breakers in the main electrical panel for the front yard lights and the back yard lights.
  • I have the new, digital timer switch connected (green:ground, black:line/hot, white:neutral, red:load ... and the extra hot, red wire capped) and it works, but only the front yard lights are coming on.

Attachment 56380
Attachment 56381
Attachment 56382
Attachment 56383
Attachment 56384

Attached Images      

Last edited by Paul5; 09-20-15 at 02:05 PM. Reason: remove duplicate image
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-15, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like the old timer was a two pole timer. One pole was used for the front and the other pole for the back. You have a single pole timer. Easiest, total load amps permitting, is to run both the front and back from the same breaker and disconnect the feed from the other breaker.

Old 09-20-15, 03:02 PM
Thank you for the response...Yes, the old, mechanical timer is dual pole single throw. Screw it, I'll just get a digital version of what I'm replacing.