light switch tripping breaker

Old 09-21-15, 09:29 AM
light switch tripping breaker

i got my shed wired and almost everything is working fine. outlets all work, however there is an issue with the light. it is a 4 foot led bar light. it is on its own dedicated breaker since i intend on running more lights in the future. the light only works when the breaker is on but the switch in the off position. when the switch is turned on, the break trips. it was wired white/white and black/black. the switch is not upside, i have tried reversing the wires at the switch and at the ceiling box but results are also the same. the wire runs from the breaker to the light first, then to the switch. the wiring diagram that came with the light does show this configuration so i can't figure out the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-15, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
You have a switch loop there. Power comes in at light, travels down to switch on white and returns on black. The diagram below is the wiring method used.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  13.3 KB

Old 09-21-15, 10:04 AM
ok that got it working, thank you so much! let me ask you this, whenever i add more lights in the future do i just add a new junction box using the same same configuration? or should i branch out from existing junction box? it's a bit full so if it ok to splice and add a new box would prefer to do that

Old 09-21-15, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
If you want the lights to work with the same switch then you connect them to the same white and black wires that the light is connected to.

You can extend out to a second box if needed.