Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Grounding an outdoor metal weather resistant receptacle box

Old 09-21-15, 05:35 PM

Iím installing an outdoor GFCI receptacle in a metal weather resistant box. The box has a ground screw. Does NEC require a ground wire be attached to the screw? I am running 3 wires from an outdoor load center (black, white, green) to the box to attach to the GFCI receptacle. Should I splice the ground wire from the load center in the receptacle box and attach one wire to the box and one wire to the receptacle? Or should I run a 2nd ground wire from the load center to the receptacle box and attach that to the ground screw. Both the load center and the reputable box are in very close proximity.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-15, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
If the conduit is metallic it is optional. If it is non metallic cable or non metallic conduit pigtail ground to both the box and the receptacle.

Old 09-21-15, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, you need to connect the green wire to the metal box. Their are many ways to do it, easiest for a DIYer would be to connect a pigtail (green or bare) to the metal box and another pigtail to the device. Then splice the two pigtails to the green wire with a nut.