Adding Kitchen Electrical Outlets

Old 09-22-15, 08:35 AM
Adding Kitchen Electrical Outlets

Hi guys. We have some kitchen cabinets in an area that has no wall / backsplash outlets. I want to add several outlets here and was wondering if you had any advice or links to info on adding outlets - in existing construction - in way that meets code (Maryland). I'm comfortable wiring the electric, just don't know much about making it 'code worthy'.

First, I am trying to figure out what level to run the wires that supply the outlets. In other parts of the kitchen, the wires run low (behind cabinets) and then branch up for each outlet. Do I need to do something similar or can I just run straight across between the wall boxes? Would I need to add plates on the studs where the wire runs. Note, we are planning to add a tile backsplash on the wall after install. I can go low if I need to by going through the back of the wall.

I also want to make these GFCI. Do I need to run direct from panel, or can I tap into the light switch source (15A breaker). Right now that source is running two 15W lights, and three rarely unused outlets.

Lastly, there is PVC drain pipe (probably around 3.5" diameter) running in the wall I want to add the outlets. Is it OK to just fit the wire around the pipe, or do I need to find another route - again possible from basement as I need to run some CPVC in the same area for a hose bib.

Thanks! Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-15, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
can I just run straight across between the wall boxes
Yes.
Would I need to add plates on the studs where the wire runs.
No, if you put the holes in the center of the studs.
I also want to make these GFCI. Do I need to run direct from panel, or can I tap into the light switch source (15A breaker).
Current code requires they be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit using #12 cable (or wire in conduit if local code requires). They must be GFCI protected. This is usually done by making the first receptacle a GFCI and feeding the remaining receptacles ( non GFCI are used) from the load side of the GFCI receptacle.
Is it OK to just fit the wire around the pipe,
Yes

Old 09-22-15, 05:44 PM
I also want to make these GFCI. Do I need to run direct from panel, or can I tap into the light switch source (15A breaker).
Generally follow what Ray has already told you. You need to have a minimm of two 20 amp small appliance branch circuits along the countertop to serve the receptacles. These circuits cannot power any lighting, appliances below the countertop nor can they power the range exhaust hood.

Old 09-24-15, 08:55 AM
Ray / Joe

Thanks for the replies and info, thats very helpful. I also wanted to ask is there a general code that municipalities can adopt / add to? Whats the best way to understand or read up on the code?

Old 09-24-15, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The National Electrical Code is used by many jurisdictions. Where are you in Maryland ?

Old 09-25-15, 08:38 AM
pcboss, I'm in Howard County

Old 09-25-15, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Note, we are planning to add a tile backsplash on the wall after install
Couple of observations -

It is easy to do all the electrical when the wall is open. Replace drywall with cement backer board when putting your back splash back together.

If your tile back splash will include any kind of decorative mosaic or medallions, you may want to relocate the electrical outlets either high or low and possibly even positioned horizontal in order to provide the largest unobstructed area for your tile pattern.

Old 09-25-15, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Howard County uses the national electrical code.