Problem with electrical outlet and ground

Old 09-27-15, 05:24 PM
Problem with electrical outlet and ground

Basically i plugged my surge protector bar into an outlet and the ground light is very very dim. Yet when my dad checked it out, the ground wire is there. the main wire (which is located outside) has a gfi outlet and says ground. I know its not my surge protector because when i plug it into another part of my home, it says ground. Sorry if i sound like i dont know what im talking about, its because i actually have no idea.

TL;DR - Outlet seems to be grounded but my on my surge protector, the grounded light is very dim. What could this mean?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-15, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It could mean you have a weak connection to a ground, or no ground at all at that receptacle. Is there a closet light or other single porcelain fixtures in the ceiling? Sometimes there is no provision for grounding at those locations and the installers do not connect the grounds together (don't know why, but it happens). Do you have an analog multimeter?

Old 09-27-15, 06:07 PM
Hmm interesting, my dad cant figure out why its not ground because when i plug in my surge protector into a outlet that is connected to the same wiring, it says ground, but this plug in my room doesnt say ground. &Yes i have a single porcelain fixture on my ceiling but i do not have a analog multi meter.

So if i have my computer plugged into the outlet that is apparently not ground or has a weak connection to ground, and a power surge happened, would my stuff be fried?

Old 09-27-15, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are many things that can be wrong. My first thought is this receptacle was added to an existing circuit and the grounds were not connected properly, I see it all the time.

What year was your house built? That will tell a lot about how to fix the problem.

Old 09-27-15, 06:49 PM
We the houses age is unknown to me but my room is . . separate ?

Let me explain, my dad had my room build adjacent to our actual "main house" (if that makes sense) about 5-6 years ago. So for the most part my wiring is different. There is another smaller room that is also connected to my room that uses the same wiring, and that rooms receptacle says its grounded on my surge protector, and in my room it says its not ground.

Old 09-27-15, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The receptacle in the old structure that supplies your room is where I would look. It is possible the ground was omitted or not correctly connected.