Another Thread About Moving an Electrical Panel

Old 09-27-15, 07:57 PM
Another Thread About Moving an Electrical Panel

Hi Guys,
Building a small house (480 sq,ft), and under normal house size, this wouldn't be a problem.
But with the situation I'm in,it's the difference between having a closet, or not having one.
I just discovered today my panel box is about 15 inches too far to the right of where it should be. If I keep it there, it'll be in my closet, and from what I've read, that's a no-no.
So, I want to move it to the left, and up about 9 inches. I haven't had my rough in inspection done yet, and the panel backs up to the meter box outside, Please look at the pictures, and tell me if I can do this without having to drill all new holes into the top, I was planning on either cutting the stud, or drilling holes in it. Please see pictures Name:  Panel_01.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  32.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-15, 10:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the unfused service is as short as practical I don't see an issue. You could keep the service wires outside and then bring them into the panel. The hole in the meter will need to be sealed.

Old 09-28-15, 07:44 AM
Service wire is already in, coming from the top of the panel. You really cant see it,kind of blends into the photo, but there's a stud to the left of the panel box. Should I just cut it, or drill holes for the wires? It would make a curve in them.

Old 09-28-15, 08:05 AM
Service wire is already in, coming from the top of the panel
It looks to me like the service entrance comes from the lower left of the panel. For what it's worth, for a new installation it looks like a mess.

Old 09-28-15, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
I know putting the panel inside is common elsewhere but here we would have put it outside directly under the meter. Since it would have had a closet behind it you could even have put in an access panel in the closet so any future circuits could be easily run.

Old 09-28-15, 09:00 AM
Not sure where I read this, but putting a panel box in a closet or bathroom is a no-no. Well, a closet where clothes, etc. will be stored. In a 480 sq ft. house, it would have to be, lol

Old 09-28-15, 09:06 AM
The service comes in from the top, not the bottom. And it looks like a mess because the wires were taken out of the box the first time it was installed. We wanted to re-route some of them.

Old 09-28-15, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
putting a panel box in a closet or bathroom is a no-no
That is correct but no one is suggesting you do.

Old 09-28-15, 11:17 AM
You keep saying the service comes in from the top when it clearly shows the service conductors entering the bottom of the panel and running vertically to the Main Breaker. Is the picture upside down? What is the deal? Anymore pictures....maybe something showing the Meter Base outside? All I'm seeing is one picture.

Old 09-28-15, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think the picture is upside-down . Look at the can sitting on the shelf.

Old 09-28-15, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
You keep saying the service comes in from the top when it clearly shows the service conductors entering the bottom of the panel and running vertically to the Main Breaker.
I see the same things.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Panel_01.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 09-29-15, 03:17 PM
Is the picture upside down?
That was going to be my next question. The only way the service entrance wiring could possibly be coming in the top would be if the picture was upside down, but I also see the cans on the shelf.

alljams2001

The service comes in from the top, not the bottom.
The service entrance wiring definitely comes in at the lower left of the panel. Do you know what the service entrance wiring is?

And it looks like a mess because the wires were taken out of the box the first time it was installed.
The coil of cables is a rats nest for sure, but the mess I see is of the wires still in the panel.

Old 09-29-15, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
I would put the panel on the outside as well. Not normally done here, but in this case it makes a lot of sense.

Yes, service wires come in from the lower left and hit the main breaker at the top.