Light switch and photocell

Old 10-01-15, 01:46 PM
Light switch and photocell

Neighbor has four patio lights with light switch to turn off and on. Want to put in a photocell but wiring has me confused. Coming into the light switch from under patio is a double wire with only the white wire connected to switch. White wire is hot. Black not connected. There is also a single black wire connected to switch that runs along railing going to concrete post with first light. The rest of the wiring is under the patio. Is there any way to wire a photocell? Do not have to be able to use light switch but would be nice. Here is a diagram if it helps anyone.
Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-15, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Housekeeping. Wires are single pieces with a coating. Cables contain several wires. In conduit wires are almost exclusively used instead of cables. What you appear to have is a switch loop from another source. Are all the wires in conduit? Are any in cables? Where does power come in to the light(s)? At the first lamp or last lamp?

Old 10-01-15, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. Cant see any of the wires/cable/conduit as they are under the patio which is concrete. He says years ago though when working on one of the lights there was cable with 2 wires that was connected to one of the lights he was working on. I'll have to go over and try to see if I can tell where the power comes into the lights, first or last. They are very old and mounted directly to concrete post. If the light switch is off I'm guessing there will be a hot wire at the first or last light which will tell me where the power comes in. Or not.

Old 10-01-15, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
That wiring sounds like someones science experiment.

I would say no to the photocell. You need three wires.... power in, neutral and load out.
You don't have a neutral there.

Old 10-03-15, 03:37 AM
I think I will just let it go. Thanks.