Garage door open/closed status light

Old 10-03-15, 03:14 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage door open/closed status light

It is very easy to go inside the house and leave the garage door up without realizing that it is still open, so I want a light to turn on inside the kitchen when the door is open to remind.

This could also have been posted in the security forum, but I think what I want is a simple electrical switch that closes the circuit when it is activated, i.e., like a closet door switch that turns on the light in the closet when the button pops out, except maybe different. I suppose that a closet door switch could be employed but I would not want it near the garage floor subject to rainwater splashing in, dirt, bugs etc.

My idea is mounting the switch on the overhead door track so that when the door opens fully, the door depresses the switch and turns on the warning light (i.e., opposite of a closet door light switch

My questions are:

1) what is such a switch (that closes the circuit when depressed) called (so that I can google for ideas), and

2) how can it be mounted, attached, etc to the garage door to turn on the light when it is opened, then of course turn it off when the door closes,

OR 3) if a closet door switch might be used, how could it be mounted so as to open the circuit just as the door completes it's close yet not be near the floor?

OR 4) is there an electric eye type solution that would be simpler (maybe cheaper?)

Old 10-03-15, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Old 10-03-15, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I've got one (Chamberlain I think) I could send you for free...postage due of course. Worked just fine at my old house, I just don't have a convenient place to plug in the receiver here.

Old 10-04-15, 04:15 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Back online

Little did I suspect when I left here yesterday just after psoting that it would be 24 almost 24 hours before I could get back. LOL

Thanks to both. I will PM GunGuy about arrangenments.

(Got to get this chromebook working properly first)

GunGuy, got a message saying your inbox was full. Here is the text of the message. My inbox should be fine so just reply by PM. Thanks.

"Many thanks for your very kind offer. Please estimate the postage and pm me your mailing address. I will mail you a check if that is OK (or if you prefer can wrap currency and mail that.)

Regards,
robert"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: