Converting a dryer from a 3-prong cord to 4-prong

Old 10-03-15, 05:12 PM
Converting a dryer from a 3-prong cord to 4-prong

Hey guys. Title pretty much states my objective, and I think (thought?) I had a pretty good grasp of what I needed to do. Here's what the dryer looked like with the 3-prong cord attached:
Name:  IMG_20150917_001342.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  23.0 KB

I bought a 4-prong cord.

My understanding from everything that I've read is that the green wire coming from inside the dryer that grounds the frame typically connects internally to the middle neutral terminal, and that, in the case of a 4-prong plug, it should be disconnected and simply hooked up to the neutral terminal along with the cord's white wire to keep it out of the way. Then the cord's dedicated ground wire (also green) is the only wire that should be connected directly to the frame.

The final configuration would be:
  • New cord's green wire connects to the frame
  • New cord's red wire connects to either the right or left terminal
  • New cord's black wire connects to either the right or left terminal (whichever one the red one is not on)
  • New cord's white wire connects to the middle terminal
  • The green wire coming from inside the dryer also connects to the middle terminal for storage

I got the cord hooked up this way and was pretty confident that it would be correct, but I was just mildly concerned that I might be wrong about the dryer's green wire. I did some more research yesterday and understood that you could confirm the correctness of hooking up the wire to the neutral terminal by checking to see if there was continuity between the wire and the neutral terminal. If there is, then obviously the wire is already connected to the terminal and there's no harm from them being attached.

I don't have a multimeter, but I managed to get an old friend who (I thought) is fairly good with electrical wiring to come by and take a look. He suggested that both green wires (the one from inside the dryer and the one on the cord) should be hooked to the frame. We hooked it up this way, and as I suspected, it does work, but it just seemed to me that this was wrong. I followed the green wire back, and I'm about 99% certain that it does lead straight back to the neutral terminal.

For kicks, I asked him to use his multimeter to check if there was continuity between the ground wires and the neutral terminal. (Since I believe the dryer's green wire is now directly connecting them.) He switched his meter to measure ohms, and I touched the probes to the neutral and ground screws and the meter read 0. My understanding was that this means there is zero resistance and thus there is continuity, which means we've negated the benefits of having a separate ground and neutral wire. But he said that meant there was no continuity between the two of them.

So I'm a little confused. From everything I've read and researched, I think my original idea was correct and my friend is mistaken. But I have zero real world experience in this area, plus I need to do a load of laundry. Who's right?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-15, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
it should be disconnected and simply hooked up to the neutral terminal along with the cord's white wire to keep it out of the way. Then the cord's dedicated ground wire (also green) is the only wire that should be connected directly to the frame.
That is correct.
We hooked it up this way, and as I suspected, it does work, but it just seemed to me that this was wrong.
It will even work without a ground but it doesn't make it correct. The first way you did it is correct.

Old 10-03-15, 07:07 PM
That's what I thought, thanks! I'll go ahead and change it back, test it out and then edit this post to report success. (If I don't report back, assume that I died a horrible, agonizing death. )

EDIT: Still here. Henceforth, I think I'll trust my own well-researched conclusions before I rely on this particular friend again.