Garbage disposal code question

Old 10-04-15, 08:30 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garbage disposal code question

I have looked on the web and I have found conflicting answers about garbage disposals. Should they be on their own circuit or is it it o.k. to have them on a circuit with an appliance. Also should they be plugged in or hard wired? I have my own ideas on the subject but would like your input. Thank you for your help!

Old 10-05-15, 04:19 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
There is only one code that you have to follow and it is the code that has been enacted into law, with additions or deletions, in your LOCAL jurisdiction. All of the national codes are merely suggestions and have no power of enforcement.

It is ONLY when a model code is enacted into law by a state, county or municipal legislative body that it is enforceable by the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ). Further, the enabling legislation has the power to add to or delete from the model code as it sees fit. What may be acceptable in your city may be prohibited in the next city down the road if each city has their own codes.

Some local codes will require the garbage grinder to be on a single (dedicated) branch circuit and other local codes allow it to share a dishwasher circuit. Some will allow a plug and receptacle and some will require hard wiring. You have to check with your local jurisdiction to know for certain.

Old 10-05-15, 05:07 AM
H
Good advice Joel and this is one job I am going to hand over to an electrician but when I get a chance I will check with the electrical inspectors office for local code too.

Old 10-05-15, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Some of this depends on the circuit requirements of the disposal. Following the NEC, either hardwired or cord and plug is allowed.

Old 10-05-15, 02:59 PM
H
I checked with the local electrical inspectors office and they said it must be on its own circuit so if anyone reads this and lives in Prince Georges County that is our local code. I probably will have a plug put in PCboss thank you too for your advice. I think either way is acceptable here but I will ask the electrician as he has other work yet to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: