LED Shelf Wiring Setup?? First Time Home Owner

Old 10-05-15, 09:26 AM
LED Shelf Wiring Setup?? First Time Home Owner

I am about to close on my first home and already have a small little project i want to add into it.
From the picture you can see there is a shelf on both sides of the fireplace. These shelves will be filled with my stereo equipment, xbox one, speakers, dvds, etc.
Above the mantle will be my 65" Flat Screen.

I plan on doing accent lighting behind the TV, and in the shelves. Now I want to do something specific and I am not sure how to set it up....
- I want to use LED's with color change feature
- I want to add a Module that controls whether its solid state, or ability to flash with music.
- If possible I would like to add a timer to it, so that they come on automatically at night at a specific time.

Now I know the timer might not be possible or expensive. So i figure i have either the option to hardwire it into its own light switch and scrap the Timer. Or I will have to set this up to just plug into a a outlet, and add a outlet timer plug with it.

Now I am not trying to spend a fortune on this project of course. I have experience in Auto Electrical work, and my best friend is a house electrician so I know we can handle this in our own. But I am just trying to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for parts on how to go about this.

I also haven't decided whether to have LEDS shining from the ceiling of the shelves and on each layer downward, or if i should put it on the inside edge of the shelves facing inward to illuminate everything.

**I know this is a long thread so I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read and help out**

Last edited by fjpatshea; 10-05-15 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-15, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Old 10-05-15, 10:33 AM
Whoops! Here they are!
Name:  househself2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  29.7 KB
Name:  houseshelf.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 10-05-15, 03:14 PM
Now since the walls only have a "edge" to them on the inside i probably will mount either LED *Pods?* or strips under each shelf and a *pod?* in the upper ceiling tucked behind the upper wall.

if that makes sense.