Installing Dimmer on a Single Pole Switch

Old 10-05-15, 05:20 PM
Installing Dimmer on a Single Pole Switch

I am trying to install a Leviton 6674-P0W SureSlide Universal 150-Watt LED Dimmer to power 6 LED Par38 bulbs and replace the 6 CFL's being used currently.

Upon opening the single switch I noticed that rather than having a black, white (or red) and copper or green (ground), I have 3 black wires and then the copper (ground).

I am under the impression that the builder decided to not splice the top (hot?) connection together into a single connection, and instead put in one connection on the top screw terminal and one on the top insertable connection. Then there is the third black wire (load?) that is connected into the insertable connection on the bottom. However I am not positive of this, as well as if the top two connections are the "power in or Line (Hot)" and the bottom inserted is the single "power out or (load)" connection.

To my understanding, this is a single pole connection and not a 3-way, as the 3-way there has to be more than one switch that controls the same set of lightning? So I am following the Leviton diagram for single pole installation. If you need another shot or smaller size etc. please let me know.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-15, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
he builder decided to not splice the top (hot?) connection together into a single connection, and instead put in one connection on the top screw terminal and one on the top insertable connection.
That is correct. It is a load wire going somewhere else.
my understanding, this is a single pole connection and not a 3-way,
The switch you have is not a 3-way. (Both a 3-way switch and yours are single pole switches, SPDT and SPST).

Old 10-05-15, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
The two black wires that are next to each other on the switch is the line connection....you'll combine those two together with the black from the switch.

The single black wire goes to the red of the dimmer.

The red wire with the label remains capped and is not used.
The green wire connects to ground.

Old 10-05-15, 06:26 PM
So just so I completely have this correct. You are saying the top connection that is on the screw on the side, and the inserted connection next to it should be combined into one line. This is my Line (Hot) connection, and is connected to the black wire from the dimmer.

The single black wire on the bottom part of the back of the switch that is inserted is the (Load) and is connecting to the red wire from the dimmer.

Then the ground (copper) obviously connects to the green ground from the dimmer. I'll ignore the other red connection as it says it's only for 3-way applications.

What size wire do I need to get here?

Old 10-05-15, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
the top connection that is on the screw on the side, and the inserted connection next to it should be combined into one line. This is my Line (Hot) connection, and is connected to the black wire from the dimmer.
Yes.
The single black wire on the bottom part of the back of the switch that is inserted is the (Load) and is connecting to the red wire from the dimmer.
Yes.
Then the ground (copper) obviously connects to the green ground from the dimmer.
Yes.
I'll ignore the other red connection
Yes. .