Installing new digital thermostat

Old 10-05-15, 08:43 PM
Installing new digital thermostat

Hi,

I'm replacing some old style thermostats to newer digital thermostats in my new house and once I got into the garage, I got a little confused. All the other thermostats are using line voltage and were easy to change. In the garage, for some reason, the wires going to the thermostat are very small and I believe they are connected to some electrical things that is screwed on the eletrical panel. Here is a picture: Name:  IMG_1137.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  27.0 KB

And here is what the wires looks like on the thermostat: Name:  IMG_1134.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  23.0 KB

This thermostat is controlling three electrical base boards (2000w each I believe) that are looking just like this:
http://media.qcsupply.com/catalog/pr.../2/1/21018.jpg

Now, what model of digital thermostat can be used for this ? I've found some low voltage thermostat, although I'm not sure my setup is 24 volt (how do I verify this ?). Also, the low voltage thermostat almost always seems to come with cooling and fan settings, which I obviously don't have so I would rather not have them on the thermostat.

Looking forward to hearing back from you guys,

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-15, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That should be a 24vac thermostat connected to a contactor system. With one of the wires removed from the stat you should measure around 24vac between the wires.

Several companies make a basic digital non programmable heat only thermostat. Here's one from Honeywell.

Honeywell TH1100DV1000 - PRO 1000 Non-Programmable Heat Only Thermostat

Old 10-05-15, 09:38 PM
Well that was quick and easy. I will double check it is indeed 24v and go to the nearest store to see if they have the thermostat I need then, otherwise I will order online.

Thanks a lot PJmax!