Correct wire sizing

Old 10-06-15, 08:52 AM
Correct wire sizing

Hello, I am trying to determine the correct size wiring and breaker size for my project, I will be making a run straight from my breaker box 150' away, to the end of my yard now there will also be 2 receptacles in the run, one at 40' and other at 70', for now all this will be powering is the receptacles and a light pole with 4 led lights on it but I want to plan ahead so eventually i will be adding lighting and receptacles to power multiple electronics like a stereo, tv, ect, on a patio, and low voltage landscape lighting, i will also have a pool pump but I'm pretty sure that will have to be on its own circuit, thank you for your direction and help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-15, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pool will need a separate circuit, in conduit, 24" deep. Knowing that this project is coming up, I'd go ahead and install the conduit now while you're digging. Run two 3/4" PVC conduits side by side at 24" deep. One to the pool, one to the receptacle / lighting locations. Note that any other electrical receptacles or lights must be at least 10' from the pool location. You should pull #12 THWN wires in the conduits, green, black, white with 20A breakers.

Old 10-06-15, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could also look at installing a 50 amp subpanel close to the pool location and feed the receptacles from there.

Old 10-06-15, 10:09 AM
So #12 thwn will be enough? When I use those online calculators it's telling me it will need at least #6 which would get very $$$,

also I like the idea on a sub panel, will #12 work for this as well?
I just don't know where I would put it because as of right now this part of my yard is just a open space with dirt

Old 10-06-15, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The #12 for a subpanel does not make sense. It limits you to 20 amps and offers no advantage over a dedicated circuit.

Voltage drop depends on the actual load, not the circuit size.

Old 10-06-15, 11:00 AM
Got it, so #6 to the sub panel and then go from there, am I wrong by assuming that will allow for a ton of room for expansion? It seems like a lot of power going out there for a pump and lights

Old 10-06-15, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
am I wrong by assuming that will allow for a ton of room for expansion?
Once up on a time a whole house would be on a 60a service.

Old 10-06-15, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes a 60A panel would leave a lot of room for expansion, which gives you all sorts of options for the future. A panel can be mounted on a treated post like a 4x6. The minimum you need is a 20A circuit for the pool and a 15A circuit for the lights. Anywhere in between is up to how much you want to spend vs. room for expansion.