can light question

Old 10-07-15, 06:58 AM
can light question

At some point someone added a drop ceiling in my basement and installed can lights.

Holes are cut in the tiles and the cans are wired to each other with flexible metal conduit, howevever, instead of attaching the cans to the joists, they are simply laying on top of the ceiling tiles.

Is that wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-15, 07:15 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It wasn't the best idea in the world. I would look for a way to replace them with LED fixtures. The new LEDs that are available give much better light. I've installed a few, for a customer.

Old 10-07-15, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is wrong if they are supported only by the tiles, but many cans have metal rails that clip on to the drop ceiling T bars. Those are ok if you have them. Have the tiles sagged down substantially?

Old 10-07-15, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They need to be secured either to the grid or the ceiling framing.

Old 10-07-15, 10:16 AM
Looking closer, I can see someone started to secure them using 14g wire wrapped around a nail into the joists and the other end wrapped around the expanding bracket of the lights you would use to mount between joists.

The weird thing is, all those wires are now cut! No idea why.

The only thing supporting them is the tiles itself, which I can actually lift the can up and out of their holes in the tiles....

Would using galvanized pipe strap attached to the can light brackets and the ceiling joists be an acceptable way to secure them?

Also are all ceiling tiles the same in regards to fire ratings? In other words, are their tiles that shouldn't be in contact with the lights as I describe?

Old 10-07-15, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think a better solution would be to extend a piece of framing down like a 2x4 brace you could actually screw the can frame to. Plumbing strap would be ok for weight, but that won't keep it from shifting around.

Tiles are not all the same for fire ratings, but it shouldn't matter in a residential setting.

Old 10-07-15, 12:48 PM
I got lucky, I was able to adjust the cans and extend the brackets. I used self tappers and screwed them down to the ceiling grid frames. Very tight quarters for a drill though.

Thanks