Labeling Outlets

Old 10-07-15, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Labeling Outlets

It seems that electrical outlets that are downstream from GFCI protection are supposed to be labeled as such, and that if an outlet is GFCI protected but has no ground wire, there is supposed to be a label to that effect on the outlet cover as well.

Is that right? And if so, are there labels for that purpose printed up or how is the labeling best accomplished?

Also, suppose you have some outlets that all lack a ground wire. Can you use one GFCI upstream of all those outlets and install three prong outlets and a label for outlets downstream of those outlets, or does each such outlet need its own GFCI?

I do read the NEC, but it's hard to parse stuff like this out correctly.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-15, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that's correct. A small sheet of the labels comes with GFCI receptacles, but you can make your own. I have a drawer in my toolbox with about 100 sheets for when I need to do an entire ungrounded house. The texts respectively are "GFCI Protected Outlet" and "No Equipment Ground".

You can use one GFCI device per circuit assuming you configure it to provide downstream protection by wiring the LOAD terminals.