Exploding light bulb

Old 10-07-15, 03:52 PM
Exclamation Exploding light bulb

About 3 weeks ago I installed a new light fixture from Home Depot. Basic ceiling mount with a frosted bowl type globe. I placed 3-60w Reveal bulbs in it, which the fixture states is allowed. The room is in the finishing stages of a year long basement renovation, including new wiring. I'm rarely in the room since it's a spare time project at this point. Yesterday, I went in to show guests the project and noticed something settled in the bottom of the globe. After the guests left, I went to check it out and realized it was pieces of broken light bulb. I turned off the light and removed the globe. One light bulb apparently exploded and another has a chunk broken out of it but still works. I removed the remainder of the bulb from the socket. I've attached a photo.
I'm afraid to add another light bulb as I don't know what caused it to explode or when it happened. What would cause this to happen??

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-15, 03:53 PM
Probably just a faulty light bulb. Place another and put safety repercussions in the room and see if it happens again.

Or just return it.

Old 10-07-15, 04:21 PM
...and put safety repercussions in the room and see if it happens again.
What are "safety repercussions"?

Old 10-07-15, 04:29 PM
Wow, one heck of an autocorrect.

safety precautions.

Old 10-07-15, 04:56 PM
Aah, much better.

Old 10-07-15, 05:00 PM
I'm sure its just a fault bulb. We get bulbs returned about once a week.

Old 10-07-15, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
I've noticed those Reveal bulbs run very hot. I've never liked running three incandescent bulbs in an enclosed fixture.

I would highly recommend switching to CFL or LED in a fixture that requires three bulbs.

Old 10-07-15, 09:10 PM
It looks like that's a halogen bulb. which can explode if defective. That's why halogen bulbs are of the bulb-within-a-bulb construction ---- to help contain the glass if the inner halogen capsule explodes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think halogen bulbs operate under significant pressure, hence the tendancy to explode and shatter if defective or damaged. I'm guessing the missing lamp had a massive failure, and the the exploding glass knocked a hole in the adjacent bulb's outer jacket, but the bulb still worked, since the inner capsule was undamaged. I'd say nothing more than a defective bulb. I second PJmax's suggestion to switch to CFL's or LED's for energy savings and lower fixture operating temperatures.

Old 10-07-15, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for that insight Beachboy. I didn't realize that those were halogen lamps until you pointed it out and I see it in the picture. That explains why they run so hot.

A piece I found......

Neodymium bulbs are also more dangerous than clear glass incandescent bulbs. The glass absorbs more energy and therefore the glass and metal run hotter than a more conventional bulb, increasing the risk of fire and explosion.

All the more reason not to use those in an enclosed fixture.

Old 10-08-15, 06:39 AM
Halogen lamps are what we used to call quartz lamps and are very hot when operating. They are slightly more efficient than incandescent, but not by much. I don't have any of them in the A-19 configuration and don't want any. Some people will not accept anything that doesn't look like the old time incandescent bulb.

Old 10-08-15, 02:27 PM
Several years ago I installed a Phillips Halogena bulb in the washroom of the historical museum where I used to volunteer. It was mounted in a porcelain socket in the ceiling (bulb was base up) and ran 24/7. Previous bulbs would last on average about three months but that Halogena lasted at least a full year.