Questions about running Romex for Renovation

Old 10-07-15, 09:35 PM
Questions about running Romex for Renovation

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding some work that was recently done by a licensed electrician (or his workers). My living room had low voltage lighting, there was a remcon relay at the fixture and low voltage wire was run to a switch near the entrance to the room. There is no attic or any method of getting above this room. The relay in the fixture failed and we decided to update this room to line voltage. Unfortunately i was away when the work was done. The electrician trenched the drywall in an area where there were two 2x12 headers above the room entrance. The romex is now stapled to the wood without any protection. I was very surprised and kind of shocked that this could be code even in a renovation. He definitely would have had a hard time drilling through the wood and I'm not sure I would have been happy with that either. Anyway, I have a few questions regarding this situation:

- Is this code? I have the NEC code book from a few years back but I can't determine whether this would fly? Electrician claims it is for a renovation.
- Any suggestions on protecting the wire? I guess I could notch the header and put a metal protector over it but that would be a major pain in the ass as the wire is tight.

I'm attaching a picture. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-15, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Doesn't matter that it's a renovation..... the NM-B must be protected. His thoughts are probably to just plaster over that which isn't correct. Technically it should have been set deeper and nail plated over.

I've had to something similar and it took a little longer but I routed out the wood behind the sheetrock and sleeved the NM-B wire in 1/2" EMT. (electro mechanical tubing) I kept the EMT 1/4" shy of the sheetrock and then plastered over the tubing.

Old 10-07-15, 10:05 PM
That is absolute garbage work. Why didn't the "electrician" simply replace the relay? Low voltage relay are readily available from electrical distributors although extremely rare in a big box mega-mart homecenter.

Old 10-07-15, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What a hack. Regardless or new or renovaton the cable needs to be protected .

Old 10-07-15, 11:41 PM
Yeah, as I suspected. I'm thinking about carving out a notch in the wood so I can just put metal plates to protect the wire. As far as replacing the REMCON relay ... Yes, that could have been done, but I'll be honest, I wanted it out. I've been slowly replacing the relays around here; but I take my time, remove the drywall and make sure any new runs are protected. Thanks for the comments and info.

Old 10-08-15, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would not cut the beam so the wires recess.

Old 10-08-15, 08:23 AM
pcboss, what do you suggest? I feel like my options are limited. Do you think I should place some kind of track protector over the wire? Thank you

Old 10-08-15, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't see any good way to run a cable there. It just shouldn't be there. Can you find another route? Down the wall, under the room and up another wall? I completely agree you shouldn't cut that beam as it is almost certainly structural.

You could (legally) run it through conduit, but that will look like crap because there isn't enough room to hide the conduit in the plaster. You could do a surface conduit like Wiremold, which looks ok, but not great in a location like that.