baldor or leeson motor?

Old 10-09-15, 02:47 AM
baldor or leeson motor?

hi guys,

Im trying to find a motor but cant opt between baldor or leeson so Id figure I could possibly

try to ask here:
Single HP
1725 or 1800 RPM
Three Phase
TEFC preferred
56C frame size

Is just one of the two brand names preferred when looking at a smaller motor? Ill be shipping

this to my place back home, when I go back so Id most likely order online.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-15, 08:13 AM
Not sure I understand what you are asking. Baldor is a good brand, as is Leeson. Check with Grainger, as they have a good selection of motors from several manufacturers.
Andy

Old 10-09-15, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Both good brands as far as commercial motors. Andrew mentioned Grainger, which has an online
motor selection guide.

Commercial & Industrial Motors - MotorMatch - Grainger Industrial Supply

Old 10-14-15, 04:09 AM
Thanks Andrew,

I need a general purpose motor. I browsed the Grainger and found many good Leeson motors. but I herad that Baldor motors are better. Now, I hesitate about this brand.

As for the Baldor so I have decided to go with this model https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-...vm3546_baldor/
the price suits me, but I am not sure about this supplier... Has somebody dealt with them?

Oh, by the way what about WEG motors? It is cheaper but it is made in Brazilia. maybe somebody worked with this brand?

Old 10-14-15, 09:00 AM
I have experience with all three, and they all have performed well. All three brands are in constant use throughout industry on a daily basis, without problems. The key to reliability is selecting the PROPER motor for the job. What are you powering with this motor that has you so so worried about reliability?

Old 10-15-15, 12:55 PM
I have a fan that gets sawdust out of the shop, that's why Iím looking for one that does well in humid conditions (sits on an opening in the wall)
Iím sure that a one phase motor would be enough but I would like a motor that can be adapted in a hurry to power the small bandsaw, in case its motor fails, that's why I need a three phase motor.

Old 10-15-15, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Single phase and 3 phase motors are not interchangeable. Yes, you can run a single phase off a 3 phase circuit but the current draw will be higher on the single phase. Do you have 3 phase in your "home"?

Old 10-15-15, 11:59 PM
You don't need a specific brand but a specific type of motor. For the sawdust and the damp conditions you want a TEFC or Totally Enclosed-Fan Cooled motor.

Tolyn is correct that three-phase and single-phase motors are not readily interchangeable. Three-phase power is seldom run into a residence but IF you have three-phase available all your motors should be three-phase models.