Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can i use a small 120V aquarium pump overseas with simply an outlet adaptor?

Old 10-10-15, 11:16 AM

Hi,

I make small indoor fountains that I sell in the USA.
However I would like to start selling them overseas.
The problem is they typically have a 240 V 50 Hz power system.
Now while it is possible to buy these small pumps with a 240 V 50 Hz label it is not easy.
It would be great if the pumps I use in the USA could be used over seas with just a plug adaptor instead of a power converter.

I am not sure if the only difference between the pumps rated 120V vs 240 V is just the label and the plug. These are very low power pumps . Very simple
Similar to this
http://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-NP-80-...mp+submersible

or go to amazon and search for Aquatop aquarium pump.
Is it possible that both pumps are manufactured the same?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-15, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
I doubt the pumps use a universal motor (has brushes) so frequency is the key. What is the Hz rating of the pumps you use? How long will a 60hz motor last at 50hz and how will the lower speed affect pump output are questions you must consider.

Old 10-10-15, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
In my opinion...... if you have a business selling these things then you'd need to sell the unit with the correct pump for the market you're selling it in.

Old 10-10-15, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
You are commercially selling a product and getting the right pump "is not easy"? Unacceptable! If you are selling a product you have a duty to do it properly and safely! If selling overseas your duty to insure customer satisfaction is even higher as you have time zones, language different flavors of electricity working against you. If there is a problem your customer is not an easy phone call away.

The difference between a 120 and 240 volt pump is minimal and usually they cost the same. It's just a mattering of ordering A or B. Both 120 and 240 volt versions of almost everything can be purchased for a wholesale price if you expand your search beyond Amazon. Usually the frequency isn't an issue and things just run slower on 50hz than they do on 60hz. But, it is critical that you send your customers something proper and approved for their location. If you are selling into the EU you must comply with their regulations so at a minimum look for CE mark.