No Power - Half the Outlets

Old 10-12-15, 07:58 AM
No Power - Half the Outlets

First time posting - thanks in advance.

I decided to change the outlets in my bedroom. There are 7 outlets and a closet light. I changed the first 3 outlets, but now the remaining 4 and the closet lights have no power. I checked the circuit breaker and nothing is blown. I also tried resetting the circuit breaker, but that didn't work. I am thinking that the outlets are in a series and I someone broke the series in my wiring.

The first 2 outlets were "typical" - 2 wires (2 black on 1 side, 2 white on the other). However, the 3rd outlet was a little different. Attached is a picture of the outlet. I think I re-wired the outlet correctly, and I works. The only thing I can think of (need help here) is that I wired the 3rd outlet in a way that I 1) receive power and 2) disrupted/cancelled the series.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to avoiding calling an electrician if this is a simple fix.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-15, 09:34 AM
Each duplex outlet (receptacle) unit has a small metal bridge on each side between the two screws. Double check to be sure that bridge is there without a crack on either end where one screw terminal can wiggle without making the other screw terminal wiggle also.

Do not use the holes in the back unless (testing with a short length of wire) tightening a screw on the side holds the wire firmly in the hole so it can't twist and loosening the screw lets the wire drop out freely.

Do not put two wires under one screw unless they will stay in place without slipping out sideways and without touching each other when the screw is not quite tight. Instead cut a short (say 6 inch) piece of wire (pigtail) of the same kind and color and connect that to the two or three ends using a wire nut. Connect the other end of the short piece to the screw.

We cannot rule out a wire breaking inside the insulation which would also break the path continuing on to the next receptacle. The chance of this happening is greater if the receptacle has been replaced before in the past. It is not easy to find out if this has happened.

Old 10-12-15, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the response. While the outlets look ok, I will replace. However, your response does not answer my question as to why the other outlets are not working. Again, the outlet that I replaced, is working perfectly. If the bridge was cracked, I gather that it would not work. Also, if they were in series, wouldn't there have to be a wire coming out of one of the outlets to the next?

Thanks

J

Old 10-12-15, 09:48 AM
When you have two black on one side and two white on the other side, one of those blacks and one of those whites continues on to the next outlet box. Should there be a problem such as the copper wire broken inside the black or white insulation in one of the continuing wires then the receptacle you are looking at could work while the next one down the line is dead.

Old 10-12-15, 09:53 AM
Just to make sure I am understanding your response, for example there are 2 outlets on right side of the room and 2 outlets on the left side. The picture above are the outlets on the right side. Those have been replaced and both are working perfectly. However, are you saying that there could still be a broken cooper wire and that is why the outlets on the left side of the room (that were never touched) would not be working?

If they ran in series, wouldn't there have to be a wire coming out of the outlet on the right (picture above) and running to the outlet on the left? There are no such wires.

Old 10-12-15, 10:00 AM
In your picture you already have black and white wires from the receptacle unit on the right to the receptacle on the left.

In addition there are two wire stubs, black and white, showing on the receptacle unit on the right that supposedly continued further to the right to the power source.

And I suppose that ptohoms;;u progoma originally there were yet two more wires, white and black, coming out of the left receptacle pictured and continued further to the left to the receptacles on the left side of the room. If one of these latter wires were poked into a hole in the left receptacle and did not make good contact inside then the left receptacle shown could be live while receptacles further to the left (not shown) could be dead.

Old 10-12-15, 10:24 AM
There were no more wires going into either of these outlets. There were 2 wires coming from the wall to the outlet on the right. Now wires coming out.

I duplicated what is above and they work perfectly. However, the other outlets in the room do not.

Old 10-12-15, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
If you back stabbed any of the other connections move those wires to the screws. Back stabbed connections are one of the leading causes of downstream failure.

Old 10-12-15, 11:47 AM
I guess the question is - can there be a series if no wires are coming out of the outlet?

Old 10-12-15, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Your picture is showing two receptacles connected together. Do you have two receptacles in one location.... a two gang box ?

Anywhere you have two cables, four wires, coming in and out could be a problem location.

In your picture I see two cables..... one in and one out. Red and blue.

Name:  outlet.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  37.3 KB