GFCI recepticle problem

Old 10-12-15, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI recepticle problem

I bought a home and during the home inspection I was told that the GFCI receptacle in the ensuite is not installed properly. I put it on the list, but before I can get to it, my wife hits a high note with the hairdryer she plugged into it, and it cuts out. All of the other receptacles in the room went with it. No breaker tripped, and the test/reset function on the GFCI does not work.

If the GFCI box is replaced and installed properly, does this fix the other receptacles that went dark?

Old 10-12-15, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
Possibly , it depends on what the issue is. It may be a connection issue , not a gfi issue

Old 10-13-15, 04:21 AM
All receptacles worked fine previously to this, so I couldn't say there was a pre existing condition.

Old 10-13-15, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
The hair dryer possibly has a GFCI plug built in, as well. Unplug the hair dryer to eliminate that particular GFCI and try to reset it. Two back to back GFCI's don't play nice with each other. Although you said the breakers did not trip, I would still approach it as if it did and do a manual reset of the breaker. Bathroom receptacles are required to be on separate 20 amp circuits. Being an ensuite, it may have been wired differently, or that receptacle is not part of the bathroom itself.

Old 10-13-15, 06:02 AM
Honestly, the wiring in this place is a bit strange. Not awful or dangerous, but not ideal, and certainly indicative of what the standard would have been 25-30 years ago when the place was built. Most, but not all receptacles in the master are dark now, a I did a breaker reset as suggested and I've got nothing. I got a new GFI receptacle and will properly install the replacement, hopefully that solves the problem.

Old 10-13-15, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
If the receptacles that are dead are ahead or upstream of the gfi there is a loose connection. Installing a new gfi Wil not fix it.

There is a troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: