Wiring an electric motor

Old 10-14-15, 03:45 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring an electric motor

Hi all
for a new project I am working on, I plan to use the crank and piston assembly of a 'dead' chainsaw motor to generate an oscillating motion to drive a home made scroll saw.
To drive the crankshaft/piston assembly, I have procured an electric motor from a dishwasher. The main challenge I have wirth this is not necessarily transferring the rotation of the electrical motor to the crankshaft, rather what wires are which when it comes to hooking up to mains power.
The included images show the spec panel on the motor and the wire array I have. The only real one I am confident about is the earth wire. A logical guess might be red for active/live but beyond that . . . . . I got nothing.
Any help/advice would be great.Name:  IMG_1985.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  36.7 KBName:  IMG_1997.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  34.4 KBName:  IMG_1998.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  31.5 KBName:  IMG_1999.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 10-14-15, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I am not familiar with non-North American motor wiring as it is different that we encounter here. My only observation is that 2850 RPM could possibly cause a problem with the small cast crank and piston of a chainsaw. It will most likely blow it apart after a minute or so. How will you encase this motion? Do you have a safety plan in effect to protect yourself? Others will be stopping in to help with the wiring, so hang in there.

Old 10-14-15, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It's not as easy as just connecting it to a plug. Those motors are usually set up as reversible and there is an external circuit that connects and disconnects the starting capacitor.

It would not be my choice of motors for that application.

Old 10-14-15, 02:09 PM
A
PJmax
what you say makes a lot of sense. A reversible motor - wash cycle/pump out - seems logical. Given that it is dependent on an external circuit (now in the dumpster) am I hearing you that feel it is not possible to just make this motor a plug and play device. A pity, it is a good physical size and seems pretty robust. Where to from here???? Looks like I need to stay on the search for a 'simple' (3 wires only) alternative. Many thanks for your help.

Old 10-14-15, 02:23 PM
A
chandler
thanks for checking in. I am planning on fitting a speed controller to the motor so that I can control the cutting rate as needed. I am confident the crankcase assemble, conrod and piston/block assembly will handle the load. Using the complete assembly gives me strong 'engine' mounting points. The couple of photos included probably show basically what I am aiming at. Name:  IMG_1980.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  33.3 KBName:  IMG_1981.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  36.9 KBI set up the assembly with a hand drill running at 2400rpm. I let it run for a couple of minutes and it seemed to just hum along nicely. I do see your point - the piston and crank are designed to provide the power from the combustion chamber and not necessarily from the crankshaft end.
Yes, I plan on having the power unit (electric motor/crankcase assemble) built inside a metal housing under the work surface which at this stage is a piece of 3.18mm (1/8") folded sheet metal. Also planning on integrating a small air pump - perhaps from an aquarium - to provide a dust clearing air stream to the cutting zone.

cheers from downunder where everything is 220-240 volt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: