Running a circuit to the pool

Old 10-16-15, 01:22 PM
Running a circuit to the pool

Hi,

I am trying to find the easiest way to run a 20A circuit to my pool (Quebec, Canada).
The reason for 20A is just to have some headroom. The pump is rated 15A and there is a chlorine generator that will work on the same circuit (minimal load).

The distance is about 100ft from the panel.
At the pool I need a 20A weather-proof plug that will be under the pool deck.
The deck has 4 walls and a roof under it, making it like a shed you can walk on.

The ground conditions make it very hard to bury a waterproof cable at the required depth (large rocks, roots of fruit trees...)
One solution that I think might work is to run a PVC conduit 3 feet off the ground along the fence, all the way to the pool. This is where I need your expertise. Is that ok?

If it is,, what kind of wire will have to go into the PVC conduit (1/2 or 3/4)?
Considering the distance, I was thinking to be safe and run a #10. Can it be a 10-2 or does it have to be individual wires?

At the panel, there will be a 20A GFCI breaker.
It will enter the house right next to the main, so it will go straight to the panel.
The main enters thgough a "PVC LB Shaped Conduit Body", so I guess the new circuit can do the same.
Name:  LBBODY_1200x1200_300_3.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  4.5 KB

Does the PVC have to go all the way to the panel or can it stop once inside the wall next to the panel? With a strain-relief terminator maybe.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-15, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Can it be a 10-2 or does it have to be individual wires?
Individual conductors are easier to pull.
Can it be a 10-2 or does it have to be individual wires?
If you use cable it can. If you use individual conductors the conduit must go all the way.

Old 10-16-15, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a pool, so you need a wiring method with an insulated ground no smaller than #12 copper. The best way to do that is individual conductors in conduit. The conduit can be attached to the fence above ground, but must be continuous from the panel to the receptacle box. An LB is a good way to enter the house, but not the only way. Other fittings would work too depending on the layout.

Old 10-16-15, 07:00 PM
thank you for the replies.
Since it seems that individual wires is the best way, can I have a sealed junction box on the outside wall, right after the wire exits the house. The junction box a 10/2 coming from the house can connect to the individual wires that will go all the way to the pool in the conduit. This is to avoid running a conduit inside the house to the panel, with all the twists that it would require...

Old 10-18-15, 07:14 AM
sorry, the junction box below was meant as a question, to make sure there is no problem with doing that.

Old 10-19-15, 08:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that's ok to use an exterior grade junction box and make the connection there.