Underground Tee Splice

Old 10-16-15, 07:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underground Tee Splice

I have a lamp post between my house and barn that is powered by a wire that is tee spliced into the run. I found it wrapped in tape and covered in tar when it failed years ago and tried a home brew repair that has not worked. From some research I think I understand that wire should not be an underground splice. The wire should run into a junction box above ground and then continue to the barn from the box. Is that correct? If so the fix would be an underground splice kit with a wire to the box and a wire out from the box with an underground splice kit to the wire continuing to the barn. Since the wire is in place I cannot lengthen it to reach the box.

Old 10-16-15, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Look up "Scotch underground splices." I've used the epoxy potted ones many times. Stay away from the shrink wrap type.

Twenty years ago I was subbed out to an excavation company that was installing a new water line directly thru intersections and across companies front lawns. They cut and I spliced. All my splices are still good after all that time. I think I used at least thirty five to forty kits.

Old 10-17-15, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
Underground splices are allowed by the code.

Any underground slice should be an approved kit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: