Door Bell Chime Wiring Question

Old 10-18-15, 04:12 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Bell Chime Wiring Question

Hi, when I purchased my house and the door bell did not work. Today I search online and read the troubleshooting guides. I started at the button itself and the bell didn't ring when touching the two wires. I then moved to the next easiest thing on the list of things to check the, chime itself. When I removed the box I noticed that only one wire was connected to the "Front" connector and nothing to the transformer. I also noticed there were four wires instead of the two I expected. Can you give me any guidance on the correct wiring. I have attached a picture for reference. Thank you!Name:  IMG_2217.jpg
Views: 5238
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 10-18-15, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
You have 2) two wire cables there. One is from the transformer and one is from the switch.
Connect that red wire that is hanging out in the back to the trans connection.

If the doorbell activates when the wire is connected..... you have a stuck/defective switch.

Old 10-23-15, 05:47 AM
D
Hi. I'm not sure I understand correctly. Are you suggesting that it's already wired correctly with only one wire connected? Is the new attached picture what you were suggesting? If so should the bell be going off even without pushing the button? Should I be turning the electricity off?

Thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-15, 07:35 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Something you can try.

Leave the power on.

Leave the two red wires connected to the screws.

Remove the wire nut from the white wires.

Touch the white wire ends (still connected to each other) to one of the chime terminals for just a moment. Then touch them to the other chime terminal for just a moment.

Does the chime sound off for one of these touches?

If so then you have proved that the transformer and the chime unit are okay.

The voltage is low enough that there is no electrocution hazard.

Old 10-23-15, 08:16 AM
D
I tried that in the bottom connector and sparks flew so I immediately stopped.

Old 10-23-15, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
Yes.... the wiring is correct now.

Does the doorbell work or not work when you push the button ?

We know the transformer is good from the sparks.
We don't know yet if the chime unit or the pushbutton switch are ok.

Old 10-23-15, 12:03 PM
D
No sound when the button is pressed.

Old 10-23-15, 12:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does the chime ding when you touch it with the two leads from the transformer?

Old 10-23-15, 12:29 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
Wrote this but failed to posted it this morning. Start with "Put the wire-nut back on ..." in the last paragraph.

What you have is the block diagram shown below; pressing the button at the front door completes the circuit, powering the solenoid which pulls the plunger in, striking the shorter bar on top (your right). Releasing the button opens the circuit, removes power the solenoid and the spring on the plunger pushes it back to the resting position, striking the longer bar on bottom (your left).

The disconnected wire has to be connected to the terminal marked TRANS for your doorbell to work. If you touch that wire to the TRANS terminal and the chime solenoid immediately activates, either the doorbell button or the wie between the chime and the front door is shorted; I'd bet it's the button. If the solenoid didn't activate, try the button at the front door. If it still doesn't work, remove the wire-nut from the white wires and quickly them to the FRONT terminal.

If it still doesn't work, quickly touch them to the TRANS terminal and look for a spark. If you had to touch them to the TRANS terminal and there was a spark, then the solenoid in the chime is bad. If it worked when touchint the white wires to the FRONT terminal, the button or the wire going to it is bad. Put the wire-nut back on the white wires, connect the loose red wire the the TRANS terminal, remove the button at the front door and touch the wires together. If it works replace the button. If it doesn't, the wire is bad and you might consider a wireless doorbell kit.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-15, 04:17 PM
D
No ring when touching the wires together at the button. I did get a ring when I took the nut off the white wires at the bell and touched the top contact. To me that leads to the wiring.

Old 10-23-15, 04:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, the wiring. Simplest to just run new to the push button.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: