Wiring 12v battery to windshield wiper motor

Old 10-20-15, 03:36 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring 12v battery to windshield wiper motor

I admittedly know very little about wiring so looking for some help. I am trying to wire a 12v car battery to run a winshield wiper motor for a project for my wife. It is a 5 blade wiper motor. I hooked up two wires through a switch and connected it to my cables on my 800w booster pack. I just connected to the two blades that provided the rotation speed I wanted. Within about one minute it melted the plastic covering right off of the wires up to the switch (switch was off). I was using 16 gauge wiring.

My question is that a issue with using a booster pack and not just a regular battery? Do I need a fuse? Heavier gauge wire? Do I need an additional ground wire? I'll gladly take any and all advice

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-20-15, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

#16 may be a little light. It maybe should get warm but not red hot.

Wiper motors can be tricky to wire as there is a parking switch in it that may have caused your problem. Do you know what the motor came out of ?

Old 10-20-15, 03:52 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is a cardone 40-2010 that is very common if late 90 early 2000's fords. I bought it brand new. I thought I would be able to look up which blades on the motor power what but I can't find anything online

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: