Simple programmable thermostat heater circuit

Old 10-23-15, 01:24 PM
Simple programmable thermostat heater circuit

Hello. I am having some difficulty with what I thought would be a simple project. I replaced my home thermostat and wanted to use the old one to create a programmable heater circuit for my dogs pen. I am using a Honeywell VisionPro TH8000 Series programmable thermostat a rectifier and a SSR. I get 24V AC out of the thermostat control run it through the rectifier and get 22.7V DC output to the SSR when the thermostat turns on. The SSR seems to do nothing, I always have 120V between my load (terminal 1) and Live (terminal 2) lines. I have purchased 4 SSR trying to making this work and I can't seem to get it right. The light on the SSR goes on and off as expected when the thermostat goes on or off but I never get any response on the other side of the SSR. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am using this SSR

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Amico Heat Sink + Solid State Relay SSR-25 DA 25A 3-32V DC / 24-380V AC

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I already had an electrician out for this and it still isn't working I'm moving beyond frustrated.
Thanks!
-Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-15, 02:09 PM
Your control signal wiring sounds OK as verified by the indicator. How do you have the line side hooked up? Should be hot to one load terminal and load to the other, with the neutrals from the feed and load tied together. You have to have a load on it or reading may not make any sense, so if you are just using a meter and no other load, try a light bulb load.

Old 10-23-15, 02:12 PM
And just in case the SSR doesn't like the unfiltered DC from the rectifier, try a 9 volt battery. If that works, you need to add a filter cap after the rectifier.

Old 10-23-15, 06:38 PM
On the load side of the SSR I have a heater hot connected to terminal 1 terminal 2 has line voltage. Neutral from line and heater are tied together.

Old 10-23-15, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
This is probably what you should be using for your project.
RC840T-120 Electromechanical Relay

Do you currently have the SSR connected inline with the heater ?
The polarity at the SSR doesn't make a difference but a connected load is a must.

Old 10-23-15, 08:20 PM
My apologies I'm not certain exactly wheat is meant by inline. The heater line wire is connected to terminal 1 of the SSR. The heater neutral wire is connected to the neutral wire of the line voltage. Line voltage is on terminal 2 of the SSR. I can buy the part you suggested, I would be happy to pay $40 to finally have this working. If I buy the electromechanical relay from Honeywell do I eliminate the rectifier and go from thermostat to relay to heater?
Thanks so much for the help, really looking forward to finally crossing this project off the list.