Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding a Low Voltage Transformer to existing outlet/junction box in garage

Old 10-29-15, 07:59 AM

Hey everyone,

my original issue was that, the former owner effectively disabled the old doorbell. There is existing low voltage wiring that is no longer active buried in the walls and is no longer connected to a power source. What i want to do is add a new transformer to an existing outlet box in the garage, and then run the wire into the doorbell (which sits on the exterior wall of the corner of the garage.

However, I am not sure given the configuration, whether I can add a low voltage transformer to this existing box.

Here is the photo of the outlet/junction box:

Name:  IMG_3151.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  27.4 KB
Name:  IMG_3150.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  24.4 KB

I will then run the low voltage wire behind my workbench and then through the wall into the doorbell.
Name:  IMG_3152.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  17.2 KB

However, this junction box/outlet also feeds other outlets down the line.

My Plan

Convert one of the existing outlets here (since none of these 120 volt outlets are actually being used currently) into the power source into the Lo-Vo transformer. I would think this would not cause any problems with the existing arrangement outside of reducing the number of available outlets by 1).

Does anyone see anything wrong with this approach or have any advice or suggestions to this approach?

Thanks,
Bradford

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-15, 08:02 AM
Note: All photos need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

My apologies, the photos are rotated incorrectly. All photos need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise for correct alignment. Apologies.

Old 10-29-15, 08:24 AM
Does anyone see anything wrong with this approach
That should work fine. ..............

Old 10-29-15, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
The transformer comes with a " conduit nipple you just fasten it to the side of the receptacle box using the nipple. In the box connect all white wires including the transformer white to a pigtail. Repeat for the black wires. Connect the pigtails to the receptacle. You may have to add an extension ring to the box to give you more room.