Running #6 gauge THHN/THWN wire in basement

Old 10-29-15, 01:31 PM
Running #6 gauge THHN/THWN wire in basement

I am installing a 60 amp sub panel in my garage. I am using 6 gauge THHN/THWN wire. Approx 120 feet total from the main panel to sub panel. The wire has to run about 50 feet in my basement to the main panel box. Does it have to be in conduit for that 50 feet or could it be stapled to the joist? My basement is unfinished and it will never be a finished basement.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-15, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Individual conductors (of which THHN are one type) must always be pulled in to a fully assembled conduit system (i.e. no exposed gaps in the conduit from box to box).

In indoor areas that are hard to access, you can use a flexible conduit like ENT (smurf tube) if rigid pipe is impractical. Even with flexible conduits, you still may only have 360 degrees of bends between accessible pull boxes.

Old 10-29-15, 02:41 PM
Why not run 6/3 Romex all the way?
Just curious
Geo

Old 10-29-15, 04:27 PM
I have 40 feet of pvc already buried from the house to the garage. Can't run romex in pvc. I could use direct burial but the THWN is half the price if I get a 500 ft spool.

Old 10-29-15, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
THWN is half the price if I get a 500 ft spool.
But you will also need white and green THWN because #6 and smaller can't be remarked as neutral or ground so you can't buy just one roll.

Old 10-30-15, 03:08 AM
#6 and smaller can't be remarked as neutral or ground so you can't buy just one roll.
This is a somewhat arbitrary rule that the the NEC adopted years ago with the thinking that it is no hardship for a CONTRACTOR (my emphasis) to stock various colors up through #6. There are some local inspectors that are willing to bend that rule for homeowners doing their own work.

My advice is to ask the inspector that will be inspecting your work if you can use all black as long as you identify the different conductors at any point where they are accessible. Worst that will happen is he/she will say no.

Old 10-30-15, 06:31 PM
My advice is to ask the inspector that will be inspecting your work if you can use all black as long as you identify the different conductors at any point where they are accessible. Worst that will happen is he/she will say no
That's a good point and good advice. My experience is that supply houses will sell cut lengths of each color at the same price per foot as buying a full 500 foot roll. Box stores always charge more per foot for cut lengths.