load center / surface conduit problem

Old 10-29-15, 10:09 PM
load center / surface conduit problem

I'm wiring a new shop where the main power feed comes up from the slab footing into a wall cavity. I plan to run 100% surface conduit wiring throughout the shop. It seems that I need a flush mounted load center to accommodate the main feed inside the wall, but then how would I run surface conduit with the load center recessed into the wall?

Is there a way to get the wire from inside the wall into a surface mount load center?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-15, 10:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Offset bends would be made in the conduit to reach the surface.

Old 10-29-15, 11:05 PM
I thought of that, but the conduit would exit the drywall at an angle....it would be a messy looking fix. And additional surface conduit circuits will be added later...don't want to hve to open up the drywall again.

Right now, the walls are opened and the #4AWG thhn conductors are stubbed out of a 2" sched 40 conduit riser. Is there a way to get those 4 wires (legally) into a surface mounted panel? How about using two 45's, one to angle the feeder cables out of the wall, the second to make it vertical up into the bottom of a surface mount panel? A home made offset.

Old 10-29-15, 11:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That would work also. You may want to look at 22.5 degree bends instead of 45s.

Old 10-30-15, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My guess is that stock 2" fittings are too long to make a roughly 3-4" offset. You can make an offset yourself by taking a piece of 2" conduit, heavy leather gloves, and a heat gun (not blow dryer). When you get the pipe to a suitable temperature, you will easily be able to form a custom bend and hold it until it cools.

It's only as messy as your drywall finishing skills. Cut an oversized oval in the drywall where the pipe exits the wall, fill the space with mud, embed some tape in it and skim it flat. A couple coats and some sanding and it will look fine. Worst case, it looks awful, you knock the mud out with a hammer, sand it flat, and try again.

Old 10-30-15, 09:22 AM
Is there a reason you couldn't put an LB on the conduit and come into the back of the surface mounted panel?

Old 10-30-15, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There would be no access to the LB once buried inside the wall. I suppose he could move the conduit to the outside of the building and come in through the exterior wall with an LB. That would work well.

Old 10-30-15, 09:44 AM
How about an enclosure below the surface mounted load center ? Then run conduit to the bottom of the load center from there.

Bring the service into the enclosure from behind (if you have the room) and then run it up to the load center.

You could then run all of the surface conduit thru the same enclosure.

Something like this.

Name:  Spotlight-QCWireway3-870x275.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  8.4 KB

Old 10-31-15, 02:22 PM
A rigid steel conduit "L" inside the partition to make a vertical-to-horizontal transition, and a "LB" to make a horizontal to vertical transition. The correct lenth conduit nipple between the "L" and the "LB" will exactly center the top of the "LB" with the center of the "K. O. " in the bottom of the panel.

You will need to arrange access to the "L" fitting behind the wall so the "L" is accessible without removing any permanent wall finish , i.e. , sheetrock.

Old 11-01-15, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Instead of an LB you might be able to use an LR or LL. Similar fittings, just with the cover in a different side.