Garage Power

Old 11-01-15, 07:24 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Power

Hey everyone, this looks like a great forum. Hope to chime in here and there when I can (most likely in the Automotive section).

I had the sewer line replaced at my house recently, and to do so they had to dig up the conduit running between my house and garage. There is a junction box in the basement where it all tied in. The electrician cut it all and labeled most of it, but I'm left scratching my head now that I want to reconnect it. Wish I took a pic beforehand (lesson learned). Attached is a sweet mspaint pic of the junction box and kitchen light switch.

-What I have are four 14-2 Romex cables that run to the garage. They are labeled 46-49.
-There are two garage lights (one inner and one outer- labeled 48 and 49) that can be controlled from inside the house, and from inside the garage.
-Both three-way switches are in the same box in my kitchen, and both are mounted the same way in my garage.
-I have two power sources from the breaker. They are labeled 46 and 47. I believe 46 goes straight out to power the sockets in the garage, and 47 has to do with the lights.
-House was built in '57 and has BX cable, which Ive read is its own ground

Can anyone help me connect the dots on this thing? It worked before, just isnt too clear what was what even with the labels. I believe 48 and 49 are travelers between the kitchen/garage switches and can be connected

Thanks in advance

Attached Images  
Old 11-01-15, 07:28 PM
V
oops. attaching it ruined the quality. direct link time -

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/gwm...xbtmi.png.html

Last edited by PJmax; 11-02-15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-01-15, 07:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If this is a detached garage then this was never code compliant. You can only have one source of power to the garage*. Plus Romex cables can not be used in buried conduit.
House was built in '57 and has BX cable, which Ive read is its own ground
It is unlikely BX cable that old has the bonding strip required for it to be a reliable ground.

The big question is if this is a detached garage. Please answer that and we will go from there.

*You can have a light controlled from the house at a detached garage but it can not supply other power to the garage if there is a separate power supply to the garage.

Old 11-01-15, 07:53 PM
V
Its a detached garage. I think in this case the "other power" that code is talking to is #46 on my diagram?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-01-15, 08:42 PM
So bottom line you are going to probably need to go from scratch on this and install a subpanel at the garage. If the light at the garage that is controlled from the house is wired with NM-b (Romex) not UF-b then it will need to be replaced too.

Tell us about the conduit. What diameter? Is there more than one conduit? If this is EMT conduit it will need to be replaced also. (EMT is thin wall metal conduit.

Old 11-02-15, 12:48 PM
V
Double checked the wire going out to the garage last night- it's 14-2 UF-b so it should be fine as is, correct? My bad, I got hung up on the 14-2 part.

The conduit is thicker than EMT thin wall and without being there to measure I believe its about 1.5" OD. There is only one and it houses the four cables of 14-2 UF-b that run in between the house and garage.

I can definitely say now that 48 and 49 are travelers for the switches in the house and in the garage. The black HOT that comes from 47 and into 48 looks like it's power for both switches, correct?

I have a little more investigating to do inside the garage. I believe 46 supplies the two outlets out there, but am in the dark regarding 47, as well as what to do with the hacked up neutral and ground wires. Any direction on that?

Thanks!

Old 11-02-15, 10:57 PM
I would suggest you call the electrician back to fix this. What you have is not normal and trying to walk you through connecting via the internet would be difficult.

Old 11-03-15, 02:11 PM
V
Thats solid advice, and what I will do if I cant solve this by the end of the week. I've been documenting the garage side of things which is shining light on what needs to go where

Old 11-03-15, 02:46 PM
What is giving us a problem is at most there should be one cable to power the garage. One cable for any lights on the outside. It is not common to have the garage interior light controlled from both the house and garage but if it was that would still be just three cables.

I could tell you how I would wire what you have to avoid code violations but you are trying to put it back as it was.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: