round or oversized square duplex outlet cover

Old 11-02-15, 02:49 PM
round or oversized square duplex outlet cover

I have a room where the electrical contractor installed 3.5" round flush mounted boxes. I am going to be installing a single duplex 15 amp outlet into each one of them. The problem that I have is that I cannot seem to find a cover, either round or square to fit these odd boxes other than plain metal ones. Since this room is being finished, I would like to find something in light almond or similar to match the other devices. Any help on where I can find such covers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-15, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
The electrician used round boxes in the wall ?? Round boxes are strictly for light fixtures.

I'm not aware of any duplex cover that will look clean on that box. Usually a cover like in the picture is used on a round box.

Name:  24CDR.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  24.3 KB

I did find one place that appears to have a "decorator" type plate for a round box. I'm just not sure how the receptacle would get mounted. You may have to use the plate above and then the decorator plate over it. I've never run across round boxes used in a finished wall for receptacles.

Round Duplex Outlet Cover Wall Plates - White | Kyle Switch Plates

Last edited by PJmax; 11-02-15 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added second plate in pic
Old 11-02-15, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cover linked to by PJ above does not satisfy the code. You need two screws to hold the receptacle to the cover.

Are these boxes in the wall or ceiling?

Old 11-02-15, 03:35 PM
The receptacle unit is normally attached to the box. Then the cover is held on using the screw hole in the middle of the receptacle.

Even today I have see square box covers for one or two duplex receptacles where the only way to attach the receptacle to anything was to attach it to the cover using one screw in the middle. Then the box cover is held on to the box using two screws in the corners.

The square box I used did not have two holes spaced to attach the receptacle that way.

If two screws are needed to hold the receptacle on then the square covers just mentioned would not be legal.

Old 11-02-15, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Someone must have a bunch of old style 1900 covers. The new ones have 3 holes. The strap is secured to the cover with a nut and screw as well as the 6-32 center screw.

Old 11-02-15, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
I wasn't really paying attention to the receptacle mounting holes. I added the approved plate to my original post.