2-Gang Old Work Box - Madison MSB2G vs Arlington F102

Old 11-03-15, 01:41 PM
2-Gang Old Work Box - Madison MSB2G vs Arlington F102

I need to replace a 2-gang box. Since there is a stud there, I would like to use one that has screws. I found a Madison MSB2G and an Arlington F102. My concern is that the sheath on one of the cables was cut a bit short. I want to make sure that it can enter the box. I see that the Madison uses clamps, and I am concerned that the cable will not be long enough. It looks like with the Arlington box, I could use those black button push-in connectors. That may give me some extra room, but I'm not entirely sure. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Is one better than the other? I appreciate any suggestions.

You can see the boxes here:

Arlington: Arlington F102 ONE-BOX 2-Gang Non-Metallic Switch / Outlet Box; 3 1/2 In Deep; Cubic Capicity 42 In - Crescent Electric Supply Company

Madison: Madison Electric Products MSB2G Two Gang Device Box with Depth Adjustable, Heavy Duty 42lb: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-15, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
My concern is that the sheath on one of the cables was cut a bit short.
If I couldn't move the box up slightly I would wrap the wires from where the sheath needs to end to about a half inch on the sheath with a couple of layers of electrical tape then cover with heat shrink tubing extending it on the sheath a half inch higher than the tape.

Old 11-05-15, 12:00 AM
Use a box with knockouts and the clamps are on the outside of the box.