3 prong to 4 prong amana dryer

Old 11-05-15, 11:11 PM
3 prong to 4 prong amana dryer

Hi. I'm so confused. My amana has a small green wire and a bigger green wire, neither can be removed. My guess is I leave the small green wire, rewire just as it was, grounding the new big green wire where the old one was and tuck away the old one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-15, 11:50 PM
Group Moderator
Are you saying you changed from a three prong receptacle to a four prong receptacle? Did you change from a three wire cord to a four wire cord? Are you talking about the wiring at the dryer or the receptacle. Pictures would help also. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 11-06-15, 01:13 AM
Group Moderator
If the little green wire comes from the inside of the machine then you can tape it off.
The big green wire should be from your 4 wire power cord.

Name:  4w.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  33.8 KB

Old 11-06-15, 01:21 PM
I changed from 3 to 4. When I took out the 3 only the white, red, and black wires came off. There are 2 green wires that cannot be removed, one small and one looks like the old ground, both used grounded screws. There's my confusion. What are those wires and what to do with them? I hooked up the 4 just as it should be, left the little wire in place, but what about the bigger green wire that's attached? I turned it on but it smelled a bit funny, so I unplugged it. I want to make sure I'm not frying my dryer. Any help is appreciated. I'd send a pic but I moved and cannot find my camera.

Old 11-06-15, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Grounds are not functional so you aren't going to fry anything. How ever for safety the neutral needs to be unbonded from the ground. The small green wire is probably the bond wire and needs to be disconnected. You can just let it hang or place it on the neutral terminal.

Please post a picture so we can be sure we are understanding you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Explanation: When the dryer is connected to three wires the neutral is bonded to the metal chassis of the dryer. On some dryers this is done by a small green wire connected internally to the neutral. For 3-wire connection that wire is used to ground the neutral to the metal chassis by connecting it to the metal of the dryer. It is disconnected for four wire and the green wire of the new cord is connected to the point the bond wire was removed from.

Old 11-06-15, 02:31 PM
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  22.5 KB

So here's a picture. The green wire disconnected is from the old set up and you can see the small green one on the left. Thank you for your help.

Old 11-06-15, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally there is a upsidedown christmas tree symbol to show where the grounds connect.

You are missing a clamp on your cable.

Do you have 4 wires in the receptacle?

Old 11-06-15, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  30.2 KB .

Old 11-06-15, 04:15 PM
Thank you for the diagram. Works great, and now I know the dryer is safe. Much appreciated!!!